PDA

View Full Version : water based finish for a salad bowl?

Stephen Massman
08-24-2008, 9:53 AM
I have some large bowls that I have finished with a water based acrylic finish. The finish is similar to Minwax's Polyacrylic and Deft's new water based finish.

I know that any finish after curing is food safe. The finish can, did say it was chemically resistant, so that should cover salad dressings.

Has anyone experienced problems with salad use with this type of finish.

I like Mahoney's walnut oil but it just takes too long to dry, and I have some shows coming up soon.

Thanks for the help,

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2008, 5:31 PM
Stephen I didn't have real good luck with it. I started using General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and the topped with Arm-R-Seal. I have some salad bowls 2 yrs. old and still looking good. They are used from 1 to 3 times a week. Ernie Conover told me he use Minwax Antique Oil on his utility items. I have one drying now with 3 coats. He said General Finishes was good but thought anything with oil to soak into the wood was good. I also use Mike Mahoney's walnut oil on plates and platters.

Reed Gray
08-24-2008, 7:29 PM
I never liked surface finishes for utility bowls. Eventually, they will crack and chip and peal off. They then look blotchy, and have to be totally stripped before they look good. People don't seem to mind the Mahoney oil if it isn't dry.
robo hippy

Stephen Massman
08-24-2008, 9:43 PM
Thanks for the help. On my next bowls that are large enough I will use the Mahoney's walnut oil. The bowls I finished with the water based finish will be good for fruit bowls or other uses.

thanks