PDA

View Full Version : A Pen Sled

Donn Morris
08-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Being a bit of a Normite, I have an Osborne EB-3 miter gauge. It is a wonderful tool. Dead on accurate and it makes cutting trim and stock for flat projects much nicer. However, when it comes to cutting pen blanks it lets my fingers get entirely to close to the blade. Fine Wood Working had an article last month about building the ultimate cross cut sled that allows you to cut large sheet stock by yourself. I probably should have thought about this sooner but I didn't. I did, however, manage to think about before I having an accident story of my own to tell. So here it is. My mini sled for pen blanks. The pencil is an important part. I use the eraser to hold the blank between the blade and the stop in place as I move the sled just to make sure it doesn't kick out. I also used to rails on the bottom so it rides in both miter slots. I added a toudh of wax to the runners and it glides smoothly for the whole cut.

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Donn - I have the same miter gauge and love it! Your sled looks like it should work great and keep your fingers out of the way at the same time! Thanks for posting!

Paul Douglass
08-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Nice sled and you will love it! I maid mine from some one I saw on a pen making forum I use it once in a while but lately I find I use the bandsaw more often for cutting blanks. So I made a sled for by bandsaw also. Here is my table saw one:

David Walser
08-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Nice sled and you will love it! I maid mine from some one I saw on a pen making forum I use it once in a while but lately I find I use the bandsaw more often for cutting blanks. So I made a sled for by bandsaw also. Here is my table saw one:

Paul,

Why are you using the bandsaw rather than your table saw? Also, if they aren't substantially the same, would you mind showing a picture or two of your bandsaw sled?

Isn't this forum great? Always a chance to learn something new!

Paul Douglass
08-25-2008, 11:27 AM
I have two band saw sleds The one with the miter gauge I just made because I wanted to cut some angles for segmenting. I forgot to put a horizontal fence board across the top an almost cut my sled clear through, Got to fix that. I started using the band saw for two reasons: (1) I trying my hand at some segmented pens. That means real small pieces and I find cutting real small is easier and probably safer on the band saw and (2) The top of my table saw somehow always gets used as my workbench. I get tired of having to clean it off all the time!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c175/grinchman/IMG_0274.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c175/grinchman/IMG_0275.jpg

And, yes these forums are great. I have learned so much on them and the tutorial some people put on them, for free are priceless.

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Great looking sled Donn. I have one similar to that.

Paul I have two like yours for my bandsaw. They work great especially the one with the mitre.