PDA

View Full Version : Trio of boxes

Jim Underwood
08-23-2008, 10:45 PM
All three boxes are Maple.

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Nice designs Jim! All look really good but the darker wood on the tallest box really makes it stand out!

Alan Huey
08-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I really like those. Nice design.

Paul Douglass
08-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Very nice, I deed!

David Walser
08-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Jim,

Those look very nice. From the photo I could not tell if the one on the left has an inlay on top.

Could you give us an idea of the sizes?

Curt Fuller
08-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Those are all nice! Together or seperate.

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2008, 5:07 PM
Jim those are some mighty fine looking boxes. I like the form.

Jim Underwood
08-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Sorry for the lack of detail in my post. I must have been exhausted last night not to have given any detail whatsoever.... I've been at the IWF all week, and helped the club host Stuart Batty in an all day demo yesterday. This afternoon I helped set up for the two day class that starts tomorrow morning.. (good stuff!)

Anyway...

All three boxes were made from "4x4" stickers scrounged from lumber shipments at work.

The left most box is rather bland wood except for the spalted dogwood and walnut inlay. I like the form and the fit of the lid. I really like this box because it feels so good in the hands. I didn't notice I had the lid rotated a few degrees when I took the photo.:( It's 3-1/8 tall by 1-5/8 in diameter.

The wood for box at the back was chosen for it's proximity to a knot, and the striking color and figure. It's 4-1/4 tall by 2-3/8 in diameter. Despite fitting the lid quite tightly when I turned it, the lid was quite loose (it rattles!) the next morning.

The right most box has probably the most unspectacular wood. This my first attempt at this form which is similar to what Mike Stafford makes. It also feels good in the hands and the lid fits well. I would have put an inlay in the top, but I had gotten it so thin that I didn't want to chance messing it up. So I settled for a couple of decorative rings instead. I should have added some chatter work or texturing in the frame. I don't really know the actual size of this box, since it was donated to the club for the auction proceeds. One of my co-workers now has it in his possession.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Very nice work Jim, I do like the bulbous one most though the other two are looking fine also, well done. :-))

Nathan Hawkes
08-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Nice work, Jim. I like the one on the left, too. Congrats on finding some great salvage wood! I like the crisp details in all the boxes. You've inspired me to try to turn some boxes.

D-Alan Grogg
08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Very nice! Those are Richard Raffan quality.

Keith Spaniel
08-27-2008, 8:08 PM
Nice boxes, I like the beads and the tops..

Jim Kountz
08-27-2008, 8:58 PM
Nice job, looks very "Raffan" like to me. I really like them alot!!