PDA

View Full Version : Can you get away without finishing pine/spruce?

Michael Donahue
08-23-2008, 8:55 PM
Hey all. I just built a small work table to use for school work, made of some planed spruce 2x4 and a melamine top. I didn't build it to be pretty, I just needed the space and eventually I'll stick it in the shop (i.e. basement :D) for working on drawing up plans and what not.

I tried to make this thing as quick as possible and it came out pretty well all things considered, so now I was wondering if I need to finish it. It won't take much abuse at all except the occasional dusting. Can I get away with leaving the spruce unfinished? What's the worst that could happen?

Thanks!

Joe Scharle
08-23-2008, 10:28 PM
I've got a lot of unfinished shop boxes. After all, the studs, joist and rafters in your house are unfinished.

jason lambert
08-23-2008, 10:47 PM
It will just look bad after some time and you will never be able to clean it except with sandpaper.

glenn bradley
08-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Jason's got it. Even if you don't run your hands on it, the dirt in the air will eventually get it dirty and you cannot sponge it off or anything like that. If you want an easy way out, buy some spray poly or spray shellac for a faster drying time.

John Sanford
08-25-2008, 4:53 PM
Buy a rattle can of your favorite Krylon or Rust-o-leum color and have at it.

Eric Larsen
08-25-2008, 7:32 PM
I've got a lot of unfinished shop boxes. After all, the studs, joist and rafters in your house are unfinished.

Nah....

I sanded all mine to 220 then applied spar varnish.

That's why I'm still working on this house after a year. ;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-25-2008, 10:03 PM
spruce = Splinters
Finish it