PDA

View Full Version : Ingersoll-Rand Compressor

Waymon Campbell
05-04-2004, 9:18 AM
My little Craftsman 8 gallon compressor just cannot keep up when I am spraying lacquer. So I was thinking about getting a larger compressor. I know many of you have the huge IR 60 and 80 gallon units from IR, but does anyone have experience with this unit. It would sure fit nicely in my workshop, be mobile if I needed it to, and most importantly :rolleyes: budget would allow it.

Steven Wilson
05-04-2004, 9:37 AM
Nice unit but about as much CFM as small 110v Sears unit; not really enough to decently support a conversion HVLP sprayer or air tools; try the next two sizes up ($799 and $999), they have fairly decent CFM numbers (app. 10 and 15 respectively).

Byron Trantham
05-04-2004, 10:00 AM
Nice unit but about as much CFM as a Sears unit; not really enough to decently support a conversion HVLP sprayer or air tools; try the next two sizes up ($799 and $999), they have fairly decent CFM numbers (app. 10 and 15 respectively).

I agree. I have a Sears vertical unit (30 gal I think) and it just can't keep up with a conversion HVLP. When I replace the tank, it will be 60 gallons +. You need the volume to keep wp with the gun. ;)

Jim Becker
05-04-2004, 10:07 AM
The cost difference between the GarageMate (what you show) and the 60 gallon IR unit I bought was about $50 when I caught a sale at Tractor Supply. That said, I know a fellow in California who owns the GarageMate and speaks highly of it. In fact, I almost bought one a couple of years ago when HD stopped selling IR, but someone beat me to the floor unit by about 5 minutes...:(

Robert Ducharme
05-04-2004, 10:51 AM
I have the Sears professional and have been very happy with it. I use alot of air tools and do paint spraying for automobiles. I was able to get it on sale for $500 several years ago. Here is a link to look at the statistics.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&pid=00916780000&bidsite=&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Basically 17.4 SCFM at 100 psi and 16.9 SCFM at 175 psi. 7hp 80 gallon tank, 2 stage compressor, splash lubrication.

Ken Garlock
05-04-2004, 1:34 PM
I bought my IR 5HP, 60 gal, 2 stage compressor through Northern Tool for $999 delivered including shipping. It is a REAL 5 HP, not the peak baloney stuff you see at Sears, and the Borg. It is not a small unit, and I would recommend placing it in a separate room if possible. It is noisy, but after all, IR is primarily an industrial supplier.

That said, just go to the Northern Tool website and search away. BTW, IR says to not use copper pipe with soldered connections. A legal CYA if you ask me. Copper piping is way stronger than anything your compressor can put to it.

Lastly, don't get fooled by the 2 cylinder single stage units. There are some brands that are two cylinder, but are only single stage. If you opt for a 2 cyl. unit make sure it is a 2 stage unit.

Jim Becker
05-04-2004, 1:37 PM
The 60 Gallon IR unit I bought on sale from Tractor Supply was $499. It's a single stage unit with 11 SCFM at 90 PSI. (Probably an accurate rating, too...)

Don Abele
05-04-2004, 6:07 PM
Waymon, I have the IR 60 gallon model (about a month or two old), having replaced an old CH model. This is a twin cylinder, single stage compressor and puts out 11 scfm at 90 psi. I ran my sand blaster at 90 psi through 100 pounds of sand (about 35 minutes) and the pressure never dropped below 90 (that's where it seems to be able to hold it while running). It's 100% continuous duty cycle rated which means you can run it and run it. It'll work for you and work for you and you'll be hard pressed to exceed it's capability. I got mine for just over $500 from Northern (free delivery). I highly recommend this unit.

As far as noise you got my curiosity going so I checked...this is almost the loudest piece of equipment I have. Here are some sound measurements. All taken with a slow response meter taken right in front of the machine (where I would stand) under no load:

Jet DC-1100 dust collector: 82 dB
Jet JTAS-10XL 10" table saw: 84 dB
Jet JJ6CS 6" jointer: 88 dB
Jet JWBS14 14" bandsaw: 90 dB
IR SS3L3 compressor: 92 dB, goes down to 84 dB at 6 feet.
Excel 10" miter saw: 105 dB

For all - take these measurements to heart (or your ears). All are over the 80 dB threshold of where hearing protection should be worn.

Ken, the reason IR does not recommend soldered copper pipes is due to possible scaling that can form inside the copper while soldering. This scale can break lose and clog a fitting. In your tap water, it usually will find it's way through, though may clog the fittings on your sink faucets. If you inert the pipe prior to soldering you can prevent this.

Anyway, that's more information than I planned on typing...hope it helps and didn't overwhelm.

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-04-2004, 6:35 PM
I agree with the positive comments on the 60gal IR priced from $499-599, depending on whether it's on sale. That's what we've got for spraying at the mesquite outfit, and a couple summers ago I was spraying several hours a two or three days a week.

I'm not sure it's recommended for air tools, but we've also used it for that a few times.

KC

Jason Tuinstra
05-04-2004, 7:05 PM
Waymon, if you're just getting this for spraying, why wouldn't you consider spending the same money (or less if you go with the bigger models recommended) on an HVLP system? I've been spraying with a pancake compressior, of all things, and I could really use a bigger compressor but only for spraying. That's why I'm thinking about just getting a matched system and be done with it. My .02 anyway. Probably not even worth that...

Jason

craig carlson
05-04-2004, 7:14 PM
Doc,
I'd be interested to see what that sound meter would measure a Craftsman shop vac at!

Craig
Sebastopol,ca

Ken Garlock
05-04-2004, 7:23 PM
Ken, the reason IR does not recommend soldered copper pipes is due to possible scaling that can form inside the copper while soldering. This scale can break lose and clog a fitting. In your tap water, it usually will find it's way through, though may clog the fittings on your sink faucets. If you inert the pipe prior to soldering you can prevent this.

Hi Don, thanks for the new insight. I would never have figured that, and I am not sure the I have seen the scaling happen. I thought the warning was there because they knew that some people didn't know how to solder and that a joint might come apart in use.

I am not sure what you mean by "inert" the pipe. I have always used the stiff wire brushes to clean the inside and outside of the all areas where the solder will flow, and I use a zinc chloride liquid flux on all cleaned surfaces. I also use a good 54-lead/45-tin/1-silver solder. If I am leaving something out, please do educate me.

For those readers who feel the urge to bloviate about the perils of lead solder, I direct your attention to the mistletoe attached to my shirt tail. :(

Bruce Page
05-04-2004, 8:50 PM
The 60 Gallon IR unit I bought on sale from Tractor Supply was $499. It's a single stage unit with 11 SCFM at 90 PSI. (Probably an accurate rating, too...)Jim, what is the amp draw on your IR? It is 5 hp correct?<O:p</O:p

I've lusted after that one but I'm becoming AMP challenged.:( <O:p</O:p

Jim Becker
05-04-2004, 8:58 PM
Jim, what is the amp draw on your IR? It is 5 hp correct?<O:p</O:p
It's 3hp "running" with a "peak" of 7hp. So it's 3hp. Unfortunately, the motor plate is next to a wall and the compressor is bolted to the floor so I can't see the amperage draw. I have it on a dedicated 20amp circuit--'cause I can.

Perhaps Don can look at his to get the amperage on the motor to give you an accurate figure...

Don Abele
05-04-2004, 9:12 PM
Craig, I just happen to have a 5 gallon shop-vac...just checked it out...HOLY COW BATMAN :eek: 123 dB :eek: that's double hearing protection country.

Ken, I've personally never seen the scaling either. That's just the reason I've been told. As for inerting it, that's filling the piping with an inert gas (typically nitrogen). This stops the scaling (which is a form of oxidation) from occuring. BTW, doesn't that mistletoe making sitting a little painful :p

Bruce, it's 240 volts / 15 amps and, like Jim, I have mine on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Bruce Page
05-04-2004, 9:18 PM
Jim, Don, Thanks for the info. I don't think I can get away with another 240 circuit.:mad:

Waymon Campbell
05-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks everybody for the great info. I think that I will go for the IR 60gal and figure out where to place it. I won't have room in the shop itself, but since I spray outside, maybe I'll built a little addition to the shop to hold it. I could soundproof the addition and provide good ventilation.

Don Abele
05-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Waymon, one last tid-bit...because I didn't realize it and was surprised. The IR 60 gallon unit does not come with a regulator. You need to buy one separately. I also got mine at Northern for about $50 (it's orange). It works great and if you're interested, I can find the stock number for it.

Robert Ducharme
05-04-2004, 11:16 PM
If you need a regulator, the following one seems pretty good. I obtained it from RegulatorStore.com

Name Code Qty Each Options
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
86136 ARO Piggyback 86136 1 86.70 Filter Drain Options = Manual Flex
Filter/Regulator w/Gauge Drain - Standard
1/2" NPT Mounting Bracket Options = Wall
Mount Bracket & Nut 86015 (+$5.78)

This is good up to 175 lb pressure and metal wall not plastic. Integrated water drain with the regulator. At the actual tank, I just have a shutoff valve.

Jim Schmoll
05-04-2004, 11:20 PM
I have my 60 gal unit outside of the shop in a storage shed, and that seams to be quite enough with the door closed. A friend of mine has two in tandom. First one set to start at 100 psi, with number two at 80 psi as a backup for heavy/duty work.

Jim from idyllwild CA

Jim Becker
05-05-2004, 9:30 AM
The email I just got from TSC has the IR compressor on sale for $499 this week...at least at my "local" store.

craig carlson
05-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Doc et all,

I lifted this from another site to put the noise of the Craftsman shop vac into perspective.

A chart showing comparative sound levels obtained by Boyce Town Recorder Arthur Clarke shows a 90-decibel level as equivalent to the noise of a large truck. A pneumatic drill registers about 100 decibels, a rock band can hit 110, and a jet aircraft between 120 and 130.

The fien turbo III comes in at about 60db!

Craig

Don Abele
05-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Craig, when I give training here are the comparisons I use:

30 dB = whisper
40 dB = refrigerator
50 dB = normal conversation
60 dB = sewing machine
70 dB = hair dryer
80 dB = alarm clock
90 dB = lawn mower
100 dB = chain saw
115 dB = typical headphones
120 dB = rock concert / thunder clap
130 dB = racetrack
140 dB = gun shot
180 dB = rocket launch (instant/permanant ear damage)
194 dB = loudest recordable sound (not sure what makes it though)

Aaron Heck
05-05-2004, 2:53 PM
Plus, Northern Tool has that nice "6 pay - no interest" deal. You're still paying the same ammount, obviously, but it makes it easier to swallow paying 1/6 each month. :)

Aaron