PDA

View Full Version : Natural bark edge on Black Ash bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-23-2008, 5:54 PM
I made this Black Ash bowl and ran into a little rot, I didn't mind the dark color, so cleaned out and filled the bad spots with some brass shavings, it's about 8½".
All comments welcome :D

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2008, 6:08 PM
Interesting bowl Leo! Love it when there is a lot of contrast between sap wood and heart wood! The brass filings seem to fit right in. Also like the way the edge of the bowl is not in a perfect oval. Adds charactor when things are not as you would expect! Nice work Leo! Thanks for posting!

robert hainstock
08-23-2008, 6:09 PM
I have never seen black ash that big up here Leo, I certainly nice turning wood though. Makes a nice bowl. :):)
Bob

Bob Hallowell
08-23-2008, 8:26 PM
Very Nice Leo I love NE's

Bob

Tim A. Mitchell
08-23-2008, 8:30 PM
I like to overall piece, but I do not like how the heartwood looks in the first pic. Perhaps the picture is too straight on, making it look similar to a bullseye.

Nice NE though.

Alan Huey
08-23-2008, 11:40 PM
I really like the work:eek:

Nathan Hawkes
08-25-2008, 2:34 AM
Sweet piece. I like the brass shavings. I'm going to have to go to the hardware store this week & ask for some brass!!

Leo Van Der Loo
08-25-2008, 3:59 AM
Thanks for all the replies and the comments.

Tim normally I wouldn't make a picture like this from directly above, though I did this to give a better look at the coloration and the brass shavings, in a more sideways view this didn't seem to show well, so that's the reason for a less flattering view of the bowl.

Steve it was for just that reason I chose to make a natural edge bowl out of that piece of Ash, that the wood was so soft did surprise me though.

Robert Black Ash does grow bigger than this one, but Basket or Hoop Ash as is also a common name used for Black Ash are a smaller Ash compared with White or Red, Green or even Blue Ash