PDA

View Full Version : White Ash box

Leo Van Der Loo
08-23-2008, 5:18 PM
Finish turned this small box from some White Ash that had been rough turned probably 2 years ago, about 2¼" X 1¾"
All comment welcome :)

robert hainstock
08-23-2008, 6:14 PM
Very nice box form, and interesting finish? :D
Bob

Mike Minto
08-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Very nice, Leo. Don't you find ash extremely hard, and difficult to sand to a smooth surface? I'm currently turning / carving some into spoons and spatulas, quite a chore. Mike

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Nice little box Leo! Great detail work! I like the burn lines!

Alan Huey
08-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Really nice.

Paul Douglass
08-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Holy Moly that is beautiful. I'm an ash fan and that is beautiful! The burn lines really add a nice accent.

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2008, 5:08 PM
Leo that is a great looking box. I like the burn lines.

David Walser
08-24-2008, 5:17 PM
...I like the burn lines.

I particularly like how the middle burn line includes both sides of the joint. IIRC, some of Leo's other boxes are also done this way. It makes the joint disappear.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-25-2008, 1:00 AM
Thanks All for looking and taking the time to comment, I do appreciate it :D :D.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-25-2008, 1:16 AM
Hi Mike, no I don't find White Ash a particularly hard wood, but I belief the carving can be more of a challenge for the difference in the early and late wood, they also make it harder for me to sign (burn) the wood.
The challenge with sanding isn't uncommon and with not just Ash, but many woods that have this bigger difference in the woods grain, this will cause the undulating surface from sanding as the soft early wood is sanded away faster and more than the harder late wood, but can also be used for a high contrast in surface finish, like burning and then brushing the softer wood out and other technics can be used, Ash is a very versatile wood with many uses .
Easily said here, but getting a smooth surface right off of the tool is what it takes, if you can get that, half the battle is won.
Also thank you for looking and your reply :D

Seth Poorman
08-25-2008, 9:37 AM
Leo - Vary nice . Its a beauty....:)