PDA

View Full Version : Hardware question tilt out door

Craig D Peltier
08-23-2008, 3:45 PM
Hi, I need to make a tilt out door on a lower cabinet. When you tilt out cabinet there will be a wood box thats attached to a hole in the floor for a laundry chute.
Where can I find the hardware for this. Rockler has this laundry hamper with tilt out but I dont need the hamper part. http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?Offerings_ID=5086&TabSelect=Details

I was wondering if theres just another hinge that will work just as well. The door will be about 17 wide by 34 inches tall. I guess it needs a bottom hinge as well, will a piano hinge work well for this? Or something else?

Thanks for the help.:)

Gene Michael
08-23-2008, 11:45 PM
I'd go with a piano hinge on the bottom and a lid support on each side. Rockler carries this hardware, but you can get it at almost any hardware store and not have to pay shipping.

Craig D Peltier
08-24-2008, 9:57 AM
I'd go with a piano hinge on the bottom and a lid support on each side. Rockler carries this hardware, but you can get it at almost any hardware store and not have to pay shipping.

I think this may work but then the client cant let go off the door. It will fall to the floor. Im looking for a hinge that will keep it open tilted.

Paul Girouard
08-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I think this may work but then the client cant let go off the door. It will fall to the floor. Im looking for a hinge that will keep it open tilted.

Design some side 'shoots' that will #1 guide the laundry into the 'wood box and hole in the floor' , #2 Act as stops when the door or hatch I'd call it, is opened.

You'll have to play with the dynamics of that, as to weight of door and shoot. Then find that "just right" point for the shoot to engage the back of the cabinet face frame or cleat if it euro style cabinet , so it's sort of balanced in the open position.

A soft close hardware might help stop it from slamming shut as well. depends on how careful the client is with the hatch.

Kevin Groenke
08-24-2008, 10:22 AM
I used Amerock no-mortise hinges on some tilt bins in our kitchen cabinets.

http://www.amazon.com/Amerock-Swinging-Sterling-Nickel-Single/dp/B0006A3TIY/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1219587033&sr=1-19

There is a sliding stop mounted to the back of the top face-frame member to keep the tip-bin from falling out.

-kg

Whoops, I just looked closer and realized that the stops are just clipped nails - push them up to open the bin completely (they could get an o-ring/bumper for a softer open). Other details: box-baltic birch & biscuits, rubber bumpers for closed stops, This casework is in an opening w/a sloped back above a staircase, the interior is UGLY!

Paul Girouard
08-24-2008, 10:28 AM
There is a sliding stop mounted to the back of the top face-frame member to keep the tip-bin from falling out.

Thats what I was talking about. Nice job Kev :cool:, you did say thats your work right?

Flush inset's about the hardest style to build, your gaps look very nice. Any other photos of that job?

Craig D Peltier
08-25-2008, 4:04 PM
[quote=Kevin Groenke;913250]I used Amerock no-mortise hinges on some tilt bins in our kitchen cabinets.

http://www.amazon.com/Amerock-Swinging-Sterling-Nickel-Single/dp/B0006A3TIY/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1219587033&sr=1-19

-kg

Thanks for the pics Kevin and link, the hinges will work fine. The tilt out idead wont. Since mine will just be a door that tilts that needs a stop so it doesnt fall to floor. There will be a wood box maybe up to 24 inches off of floor nailed to the hole in the floor. I guess a rope might even work on both sides to an eye hooks on box and door. Not the most elegant but it would work.
I was wondering if a chest lid hinge would work in this fashion.It would be installed upside down though.