PDA

View Full Version : Shopsmith Bowl Turning Tool Kit

Dave Lehnert
08-23-2008, 2:25 PM
Shopsmith has a set of bowel tools on sale for just under $100.
It has been hinted that they are made by Sorby but of course are not allowed to elaborate on that. I do have some Shopsmith brand hand tools and was told at the time they were made by Sorby so it's possible the lathe tools are.
Anyone have an opinion with this set and speak of the quality?

I was going to purchase the PSI set at $65 but the Shopsmith is not much more $$$ if they are a good product.

http://www.shopsmith.com/itempics/sjpg/518c/518733s.jpg

robert hainstock
08-23-2008, 6:58 PM
Is the question you need an answer to. If so why not??:)
Bob

Dave Lehnert
08-23-2008, 7:06 PM
Is the question you need an answer to. If so why not??:)
Bob

What???????

RL Johnson
08-23-2008, 8:22 PM
Are the turning tools high speed steel?

Don Robert
08-23-2008, 9:35 PM
Actually, I think I would prefer an enima to either of the mentioned "bowel tools."

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

Bill Bolen
08-23-2008, 10:04 PM
I've had a Shopsmith and bought many of their accessories since "
'81. IMHO they make pretty good stuff! These look to be good tools. The turning tools that came with my SS are 25 years old, not HSS (don't think it was avaliable in 81) and strill in use. Most are a bit short now though. I think you need to see what size tools these are. Is the bowl gouge 3/8 or 1/2, is the scraper 3/4" 0r 1"?. Find out and make a comparison to other manufactures with the identical size.I personally prefer my Thompson tools now.Once bitten you can't go back! If the size is right and they are HSS you are not getting ripped off. Usually in any sort of set you will have a chisel or two that you will never use that is why I buy individual tools now. Good luck in your hunt!..Bill..

Ron McKinley
08-24-2008, 12:17 AM
The turning tools that came with my '84 Shopsmith were made by Buck Brothers. I never used them so can't comment on the quality.....Ron

Curt Fuller
08-24-2008, 12:37 PM
I can't really tell what size those tools are from the picture. But considering the price for a couple Sorby bowl gouges, a square scraper, and a bowl scraper wood be $200 or more, I'm guessing they're not Sorby tools. But if they're made from quality HSS material they don't need to have the Sorby name to be good tools.