PDA

View Full Version : Redo of an old piece

Curt Fuller
08-23-2008, 1:56 PM
I don't know if any of you ever redo any of your work, but this one went through a couple re-workings. After a couple of re-chuckings, new lids, and new finials I think I'm finally out of options so this is how it's going to be.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/Walnut-mapleliddedpot1.jpg
The other two pics are from the first two attempts. The first one was endgrain and cracked, the second one just didn't look right so I rechucked the pot, put a rim inside, rechucked the lid so it fit inside, and turned a new finial.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/Walnutliddedpot2.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/Walnutliddedpot1.jpg

Dan Oliphant
08-23-2008, 4:11 PM
Curt, all look good, although my preference is the original.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-23-2008, 4:38 PM
I like the top picture's one with the let-in lid best, did you consider a darker wood Curt ??

Jim Becker
08-23-2008, 4:47 PM
All are nice, but I really prefer version in the first picture, both for the lid style and the finial.

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2008, 4:54 PM
Looks like it was worth the effort! There was nothing wrong with the original but changing to a recessed lid and a 'Burns' style of finial transformed it into a showpiece! Very nice re-work!

robert hainstock
08-23-2008, 6:54 PM
The third lid is realy an "add on" to the piece in my eye. Makes it special and different.very nice piece. :D:D:D
Bob

Tim A. Mitchell
08-23-2008, 8:26 PM
The final prduct looks good. I like the contrasting woods, actually.

Now, rechuck it and make it thicker.

Richard Madison
08-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Curt,
Yeah, been there and done that with lids and finials too. Great looking piece in the first picture. Definitely worth the extra effort. Just gotta "have the will to do the work" to make it come out right, and I think you made this one come out right. I like the Keith Burns style finial and have done a couple of them too.

Curt Fuller
08-24-2008, 12:28 PM
I like the top picture's one with the let-in lid best, did you consider a darker wood Curt ??

Normally if I make something that is going to have a lid I use the same piece of wood for all of it. On this piece the lid was an afterthought. So I didn't have an end piece off the blank to match the base. And because the pot is turned endgrain, any other piece of wood wasn't going to match. I tried a log end cutoff for the first one and even though it was also walnut it sat on there like a foreign object, and it split anyway. So I decided to go the contrast route with the maple, didn't like the lid design for that. I finally reworked that lid but it's still one of those things where you wish you would have had the foresight to do it right in the beginning. When I get in a hole like that I have a hard time knowing when it's time to stop digging.

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2008, 5:06 PM
Curt don't see anything wrong with any of them. All are well done.