PDA

View Full Version : New Robust "Sweet 16"...finally some competition for Stubby...sorta

Jim Becker
08-23-2008, 10:14 AM
I was perusing the latest issue of the AAW Journal last night and noted that Robust is introducing a new model called the "Sweet 16". What caught my eye is that they have built this new machine in such a way that it has three configurations you can easily change to; one includes 30+" inboard swing capacity similar to my Stubby 750. While the new Robust doesn't have some of the unique bed manipulation capability of the Stubby, it certainly brings some serious inboard capacity competition to it and that's nice for the turning community. The price is very competitive, too, at $4795.

Here's a spec sheet on the new machine:

http://www.turnrobust.com/PDF%27s/Sweet16_Spec_Sheet.pdf

David Walser
08-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Yes, I, too, noticed Robust's new lathe. I went to Robust's website (a man can dream, can't he?) last week and read about it there. It looks like a great all-around lathe. 30+" of bowl capacity combined with over 50" of spindle length, means there is very little that this lathe cannot do. The one exception is that it cannot handle a large diameter and deep hollow form. (The gap in the bed is 14". By the time you take into account how much the spindle intrudes into that area and the need for a chuck/face plate, I doubt you could turn a hollow form deeper than 10" over the gap. That's, still, a larger hollow form than I'm ever likely to want to turn.) You can turn outboard, so even that limitation can be overcome.

I look forward to seeing the new lathe in person.

Jim Becker
08-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Good point, David. Although for someone doing large and deep forms, they probably would opt for a different type of machine, anyway. My Stubby would have similar limits, frankly.

I may have to take a ride over to David Ellsworth's place one of these days if I hear he get's a Sweet 16 in his studio just to take a comparative look. (No personal interest in purchase as my darling Stubbalina will meet my needs "forever"... :))

Gary Max
08-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Powermatic 4224-----nuf said

Tom Keen
08-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Looks great and the pricing is attractive given the jump in prices on the Powermatics. Im beginning to plan for the "last lathe".. Im sure there is one out there, somewhere.. My only concern is that even with the upgrade to 2hp.. I think 3hp would be better.

Tom

Jim Becker
08-23-2008, 4:56 PM
Tom, my Stubby has a 2hp motor (as do all of the big OneWay machines I've turned on, and it's never experienced any heavy breathing even with big, heavy, out of balance blanks. That said, if I were turning that king of stuff a lot, the bigger motor would be nice.

Gary, the big PM is a nice machine, but not thr "format" that many of us like...too long of a bed for my shop and uncomfortable for the way I turn and what I turn. i didn't buy a big OneWay for the same reason.

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2008, 5:08 PM
That looks like a really nice lathe and I am sure it would fit the needs of a lot of folks. For me, a sliding headstock has more appeal than just about anything. I do mostly bowls and hollow forms and I'm getting to that age where leaning over the ways is just not that comfortable anymore.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-23-2008, 5:41 PM
That looks like a really nice lathe and I am sure it would fit the needs of a lot of folks. For me, a sliding headstock has more appeal than just about anything. I do mostly bowls and hollow forms and I'm getting to that age where leaning over the ways is just not that comfortable anymore.
I do agree with the leaning over the bed restriction and uncomfortable position, I certainly would not go for a robust, I'd rather have a Oneway with the outboard bowl turning setup, or a Stubby bolted to a block of concrete.
Though for less $$$ I bought my engine lathe and build the outboard turning platform, so I have the use (and skill) of an metal turning lathe and the wood turning ability both inboard (used seldom) and outboard, without the restricting bed-ways.
If I was to change lathes with the room to place it, a Oneway would be my choice.
The link will show my lathe.
http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum25.html