PDA

View Full Version : Custom steering wheel resto

Kelly C. Hanna
05-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Found a great wheel for the old truck Saturday at the swap meet and installed it after restoring it....

Grant GT wheel (http://www.hannawoodworks.com/CCC/NewBuffalosteeringwheel.html)

I also found a great deal on a 6" Delta sander the next day at a garage sale....things are good all over! :D :D

New Sander (http://www.hannawoodworks.com/newsander.html)

Tyler Howell
05-04-2004, 6:42 AM
Found a great wheel for the old truck Saturday at the swap meet and installed it after restoring it....

Grant GT wheel (http://www.hannawoodworks.com/CCC/NewBuffalosteeringwheel.html)

I also found a great deal on a 6" Delta sander the next day at a garage sale....things are good all over! :D :D

New Sander (http://www.hannawoodworks.com/newsander.html)
Great finds Kelly, nice ride too. I missed tha part of your web page before. Too cool:cool:

Frank Pellow
05-04-2004, 6:55 AM
Really nice wheel and, as usual, godo pictures of the installation steps.

I have the same sander. Its OK, but I aspire to something better.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-04-2004, 7:05 AM
Thanks Tyler!

Frank, I want a 16/32 Performax wide belt someday (or a bigger one if I win the lotto anytime soon), in the meantime, this one will help with a few small projects I want to do.

Tony Falotico
05-04-2004, 7:40 AM
the old truck

Kelly, how 'bout some details on the old truck. From the dashboard pic's it looks like my '83 GMC Wood-bed Step-side. Also looks like you done some custom work?

Jason Roehl
05-04-2004, 8:39 AM
Kelly, how 'bout some details on the old truck. From the dashboard pic's it looks like my '83 GMC Wood-bed Step-side. Also looks like you done some custom work?
You gotta dig around his webpage--he's got a LOT more about that truck. Just click the "back" link at the bottom of the page to which he linked.

I'm a Motorcraft man myself, but still like seeing mods like that...:D

Byron Trantham
05-04-2004, 9:54 AM
Nice mod. The result is great. :D

Kelly C. Hanna
05-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Tony,

It's a 1973 C-20 3/4 ton 350/400/4.10 truck. It's got some minor rust issues, but it's a heck of a work truck. I am continually doing things to make it better...next up is a set of headers and a dual exhaust system.

I am eventually going to be doing wood beds...may even branch into selling kits....I've got two friends that drive a '55 and a '70 PU that are going to be the first two to get them. Mine has a steel bed right now, but when the bed wears out I am going to fit a flatbed on it with a wood surface and rails.

So much to do, so little time....:D

Tony Falotico
05-04-2004, 7:03 PM
So much to do, so little time....:D

You ain't kidding! Mines an '83 GMC step-side, last of the wood-bed true step-sides. Had an in-line six when I bought it with plans of restoring the motor, but when I got into it it had more problems than I expected. A friend gave :D me a 305 block out of a wreck with 16K miles on it. So in it went, along with an Edelbrock Performer Plus cam, high rise aluminum intake, 600 cfm 4 barrel Holley, MSD ignition with MSD pro billet distributor, true dual exhaust with Flow Masters (dang muffler guy forgot to put the cats back). Never got the Holley tuned right, so after a few months tinkering with it I put a 600 cfm 4 barrel Edelbrock. What a difference! It's got about 30K on the engine now and runs like a charm. I got the Trans-go transmission shift kit (700r4) and plan to install it with a TCI Saturday Night Special torque converter. Hope to get that in this summer.

The body is solid on mine, no rust anywhere. It has one minor dent in the passenger door, nothing hard to fix when I get time.

I call it the materialistic manifestation of my mid-life crisis. LOML just looks at it and shakes her head. Can't understand why so much chrome under the hood ("Where no one can see it"). The ladies just don't understand simple things sometimes!

I am looking for the ultimate project, a late 20's early 30's Woody. Mechanics and woodworking in one project augh -- augh -- augh What more could a guy want?? :D

Kelly C. Hanna
05-05-2004, 8:29 AM
I love Edelbrock 1406 carbs, too. I'll never own another Holley. I didn't know that the wood beds were made after 1972. I am getting ready to do two of them soon. Once I get the pattern down pat, I am going to start selling kits for wood beds in exotic lumber at the swap meets and on the web.