PDA

View Full Version : Aspen for drawers?

John Miliunas
05-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Just a quickie question: I have a few small drawers to make, only about 10" deep by about 8" wide and 3+" tall. I also happen to have a bunch of rough Aspen laying around. I know ply and Poplar are usually the woods of choice, but for something this small, would Aspen be OK. I figured to plane it down to about 5/8" thickness. It's just for the bathroom cabinets and they won't be subjected to any rough use. Other suggestions also welcomed. :cool:

Lars Thomas
05-04-2004, 1:00 AM
I've used it without any problem. Sounds like the price is right. Lars

Mark Singer
05-04-2004, 1:40 AM
:) John,
I have never used it for drawers...but you try it and in a month or so I will ask you how your Aspen?:eek:
By then we should know....

John Miliunas
05-04-2004, 8:14 AM
:) John,
I have never used it for drawers...but you try it and in a month or so I will ask you how your Aspen?:eek:
By then we should know....

Thanks Mark...I just *knew* I could "count on you"! :eek: Yup, one in every crowd, as they say! :cool:

Steve Beadle
05-04-2004, 10:02 AM
John, I bet you'll have a better idea of how the aspen is going to work for you after you plane it to thickness and let it sit for a while--in a flat, stickered stack. There might also be a clue as to how it reacts when you rip it to width: does it spring open and/or closed, or does it pretty well maintain the kerf width? Do you have a moisture meter?

Even if the wood seems to be okay, it might be a good idea to seal the wood inside and out. Maybe somebody else out there in the middle of the creek would know whether a coat of shellac would be advisable?

John Miliunas
05-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks Steve. I think I'll go ahead and try what you suggest (resaw/plane to dimension) and see what happens. This will be in a bathroom with wide humidity swings, so sealing it, regardless of species, is in order. :cool: