PDA

View Full Version : Finally Time To Finish a Couple of Bowls

Maylon Harvey
08-22-2008, 8:06 PM
This past spring I thought I would try my hand at making a couple of pens and got hooked on them the past few months, you know, instant gratification. Pictures of pens to follow one of these days. Then of course there are all those summer chores, the front yard I mow is 5 acres and the driveway is 3/10ths mile. So anyway the other day I finally got around to finishing a couple of the bowls that I roughed out last winter. The maple one is a gift I’m giving tonight to the guy that gave me the wood, so please excuse the hurry up pics.
The maple has some spalting and is 12 x 3 ½, antique oil Beal buffed and Ren wax.
The white oak is 13 x 4 ½, antique oil Beal buffed and Ren wax.

PS The new Steve Schlumpf designed vacuum chuck worked like a champ when I turned off the tenion and turned the foot. Thanks Steve

Steve Schlumpf
08-22-2008, 8:47 PM
Maylon - really like the form on both of your bowls! I've always liked maple because when turning you can be surprised by the color variations. Very nice work on both!

Glad your vac system is working out for you! Sure makes life easier when finishing up the bottom of a bowl!

Leo Van Der Loo
08-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Nice work Maylon, well done :)

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Beautiful bowl. Really like the wood and finish.

Alan Huey
08-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Nice form and figure.

Nathan Hawkes
08-25-2008, 2:44 AM
Nice work on both. I like the very subtle spalting on the maple. Just enough to really add to the figure already in the wood. With the white oak, I like it too! I have a bunch of white oak that I haven't had a chance to turn yet. I might just have to forgo sleep this week and rough out some! (trying to do that a lot lately--I have over 50 maple & cherry drying now).

robert hainstock
08-25-2008, 9:18 AM
Ity is always gratifying to turn woods with some color variation. You have done justice to the wood. Greaat job. :D:D
Bob

Maylon Harvey
08-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments.