PDA

View Full Version : Attaching T-Track - Just Glue?

Malcolm Wheeler
08-22-2008, 7:42 PM
I am planning a cross cut sled with T-Track to accomodate hold downs, using a 1/2 inch thick plywood base. Most T-Track seems to require a dado of 3/8 inch deep, which leaves only 1/8 inch in the plywood.

What is a good way to attach the T-Track to the plywood base? Is glue alone sufficient, or should I seriously consider Lee Valleys double T-Track (Item Number 12K79.44)?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=52400&cat=1,43455,52799

I am worried about the T-Track coming loose in the middle of a cut... even if the hold down stays tight..

Geoff Potter
08-22-2008, 7:53 PM
If you want to use t-track on a sled you will need to use double 1/2". IMHO, glue won't hold.

Greg Cuetara
08-22-2008, 8:08 PM
I am using some T-Track on a drill press table and pulled the track right out and I was using only screws to hold it down....I ended up through bolting the track down and havn't had any problems since. It looks like the double track from Lee Valley would work a lot better than trying to secure it down for a sled.

Eddie Darby
08-22-2008, 8:50 PM
I've had good success using epoxy glue, which is stronger than the wood.

If you are concerned about the strength of each piece of plywood on each side of the "T" track, then is it possible in your design to bridge the "T" track in a couple of places with an epoxied piece of wood over the "T" track?

glenn bradley
08-22-2008, 11:27 PM
I would make the coice between 1/2" base and no t-track or 3/4" base and t-track. I use screws in 3/4" BB ply and have never pulled one out. A threaded rod can put enormous pressure via a t-knob. You don't have to crank them down to get plenty of holding power.

The hold downs are just to hold the piece still; the piece should stay in place without the hold down engaged. That is; if additional support is required to hold thepiece in place, do that first then tighten the hold down. I wouldn't expect 1/2" material to support 3/8" deep track, YMMV.

mreza Salav
08-22-2008, 11:44 PM
I have two cross-cut sleds. Both are 3/4" plywood and for both I have used epoxy to secure the T-tracks.
Very very solid; I have manged to bend a 1/4" thick bolt (2" length) by tightening the hold-down and the T-track didn't move a bit. It's just a bit messy to epoxy them in place.

Mike Goetzke
08-23-2008, 2:05 AM
I have used Gorilla glue for a similar application.

Joe Scharle
08-23-2008, 8:58 AM
I use #1 machine screws into T-nuts (recessed on bottom), pulled into a bed of slow set epoxy. Acetone will wipe up the squeeze out.
I do have a tendency to over tighten hold downs.

John Lucas
08-23-2008, 3:34 PM
Acetone will wipe up the squeeze out..

Joe, Have you ever used white vinegar for squeeze out and cleaning hands/tools of epoxy. It works for me.

Joe Scharle
08-23-2008, 5:28 PM
No I haven't John, But I will. Just wrote a sticky note to myself otherwise I'll always revert to old, automatic actions. Senior moments, ya know!
Joe