PDA

View Full Version : Pocket screws to join apron to leg on table...

Michael Donahue
08-22-2008, 7:07 PM
Hey all. I'm building a simple work table to give me some extra space for my upcoming school work (going back to school is scary!:eek:) so I'm trying to do this quick and cheap. I had some spruce 2x4's sitting around that were pretty dry, so I sandwiched some together for legs and now I want to use some more to build the aprons. Would pocket holes be strong enough for this joint? I was thinking maybe 2 or 3 at each intersection, using #8 2" coarse thread screws. The top is 3/4" melamine measuring roughly 2'x4' so there will be a leg at each corner and aprons running around the edge.

Will this be strong enough do you think? I've had good luck with pocket screws before, but I never really used them in softwoods. Thanks guys!

Casey Gooding
08-22-2008, 7:11 PM
For something like school work, this should be fine. I'd do two screws on each apron, at each leg (four per leg). I would also put several on each apron into the top. Some stretchers between legs would give you some added strength as well.

Michael Donahue
08-22-2008, 7:25 PM
For something like school work, this should be fine. I'd do two screws on each apron, at each leg (four per leg). I would also put several on each apron into the top. Some stretchers between legs would give you some added strength as well.

I was thinking of using stretchers between the legs on the short sides, and a stretcher between front and back aprons just underneath the top for a bit more rigidity. How's that sound?

It doesn't need to be pretty, it just has to hold up!

glenn bradley
08-22-2008, 7:29 PM
That oughta do it. Just don't clamp a board to it and start in with a hand plane ;-)

Jim Becker
08-22-2008, 8:27 PM
Pocket screws and glue will make for a very strong joint, especially if you put in corner blocks.

Frank Drew
08-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Jim

If the rails butted to the legs, where would you use the glue?

I agree about corner blocks, or other additional corner reinforcement.

Jim Becker
08-23-2008, 5:14 PM
Glue goes on the end of the aprons. Yes, not the strongest glue situation, but with the addition of corner blocks, a strong table is possible, especially for utility and side tables. I never do M&T on these any more.