PDA

View Full Version : Laser for CMS

James Hart
08-22-2008, 5:43 PM
I have a 12" PC CMS that I bought just before lasers became common.

Anybody found a retrofit laser worth using?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Becker
08-22-2008, 8:28 PM
Many of the retrofit lasers only operate when you get the blade spinning and I consider that a safety issue...lining up of the cut should be able to be accomplished without the blade in motion. IMHO.

Glenn Howard
08-22-2008, 9:21 PM
Many of the retrofit lasers only operate when you get the blade spinning and I consider that a safety issue...lining up of the cut should be able to be accomplished without the blade in motion. IMHO.

I couldn't agree more. If you have to have the blade in motion to line up the cut, your full attention is no longer on the blade, but is on the laser line. While it seems obvious that the laser line is in the same vicinity as the blade, even this miminal distraction of attention from the spinning blade is not wise.

My DeWalt has a laser, which operates independently of the blade. But to be honest, I don't put enough faith in the laser that I'd miss having it. You truly aren't missing much by not having a laser (which can be rendered useless in bright light anyway).

Ed Peters
08-22-2008, 9:43 PM
I have installed the LaserKerf laser on my Dewalt 12" SCMS and I have found it very reliable and visible in daylight as well. It is purchased with regard to your kerf width so that it actualy designates both sides of the cut. Works both right and left of the blade without spinning the blade.
www.laserkerf.com (http://www.laserkerf.com)

Ed

Don Mitchell
08-22-2008, 10:09 PM
In my opinion, laser on a CMS are really nothing more than a marketing scheme to get guys to spend money on a wow gadget that is not needed.

Eiji Fuller
08-22-2008, 11:13 PM
I had a laserkerf installed on my Makita LS1212. It shoots a laser .125" and is very accurate. You can turn it on/off with a switch that is independant of the blade.
I would say it is the best for shop use. I mainly was working in the field and my crew ended up knocking it off and breaking it. I have a Kapex now so I dont need an after market laser. But I would highly recomend the laserkerf.

Eiji

Per Swenson
08-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Just like Mr. Fuller I also have the Lazer Kerf on the very same saw.

Works as advertised. And Just like Mr. Fuller, I used it for maybe two days,

then forgot to turn it on. Its still there though:D

Per