PDA

View Full Version : coin blanks and cermark

martin g. boekers
08-22-2008, 4:06 PM
On my ongoing search to find a laserable coin, I thought I'd post this and see if anyone can help!

I have a good market here on base for individual custom coins. I have tried a few things and am still looking for a workable product.

I've tried the Ikon metal, to brittle, to long to burn deep on a reverse, makes a mess, expensive.

Marble take away from the "coin" aspect of what I'm trying to achieve.

Conde makes a dye-sublimation poker chip out of a reinforced fiberglass resin, this was the best so for as I can do full color on 2 sides for about $.50 ea, still not quite what I'm looking for but still a salable product!

My next thoughts are going towards an acual coin blank or planchet, then giving it a Cermark coating and laser it.

I think these could make great gifts for special events etc.

If anyone knows were I can get quality blanks (not just stamped slugs:()
it would greatly be appreciated.

Also if someone is familiar with the Cermark coating process that would help to! (any particular plating that might work better?)

Thanks in advance!

Marty

George D Gabert
08-22-2008, 5:30 PM
ShortOrderProducts have anodized blank aluminum, SS and brass round tags without holes.

GDG

Larry Bratton
08-22-2008, 5:33 PM
How about Rowmark Metalgraph Plus? http://www.rowmark.com/laser/metalgraphplus/metalgraphplus.asp

Rodne Gold
08-23-2008, 4:42 AM
Get the blanks spun cast with a recess either side and put a laser engraved plate or a sublimated decal or a domed decal or whatever in the recesses.
we do a similar thing with our medals , have em spun cast and insert a disc in the recess.
http://www.tokerbros.co.za/MEDNEW_70_3.jpg
http://www.tokerbros.co.za/43MM_MEDAL_RIBBON.jpg

Got the feel of a coin , got the weight of a coin and is totally customizeable - a 1" coin spun cast and plated , 3mm thick , shouldnt cost more than 30c US.our 43mm medal doesnt cost us more than that and its a lot heavier and bigger than a coin

Theres even a BETTER silver lining to this , you can use your laser to make the masters out of perspex as albeit the perspex does not survive the mould vulcanization (it warps), it does result in a perfect spun cast mould.

Mike Null
08-23-2008, 7:21 AM
Rodney

What would you consider to be a minimum run for spin casting?

Rodne Gold
08-23-2008, 10:34 AM
mike , the smaller guys will do runs in 100's but will add a mould cost.
Ideally you want to supply whomever you are using multiple masters (easy to to on the laser) so they can fill a mould , cos if you supply one master , they have to put it in a mould with other stuff , spin multiple sub masters off the single and then use these to fill a mould.
Problem isyou get a spin off a spin and lose definiution and get shrinkage. Multiple masters makes for a crisper spun cast product.
Ideally you want to find a caster with a plating or metal finishing plant , that does the whole thing in house etc.

martin g. boekers
08-24-2008, 2:50 PM
Rodne,

Where would I look for someone to cast these?

Can they be two sided as a coin or just one sided as a medallion?

Are there size limitations to them or could I make say an 8 inch coin?

Thanks for your help, I'm always learning new methods here!

Marty

martin g. boekers
08-24-2008, 2:52 PM
Thanks for your input! I'll check these out!

After I find something suitable I'll post my results!

Marty

Rodne Gold
08-25-2008, 2:32 AM
They can be 2 sided , we do 2 sided masters on our lasers all the time , tricky part is to flip it over and register and engrave the other side.
There are limitations on size and thickness one can cast , thginner than 2mm gives problems , and big sizes can often use a whole mould to itself or not fit into the mould the spin caster uses, 8" coins are BEEG!!!!!!!!
Spin casting gives "ok" results compared to die stamping or coining , however they are acceptable at a price point. Hooking up with a spin caster can be beneficial to both parties as they can make a lot of stuff for you to sell and you can make masters etc for em real quick.
You dont have toi use pex for a master , mostly anything that can endure the vulcanising heat will do - wood , formica etc, its just that pex is cheap and easy.
Vulcanising is where they apply heat and pressure to the mould rubber (which is often liquid or soft) so that it gets hard. The rubber can resist enough heat so low melting point metals can be poured into it. Moulds have a finite life , so keep your masters on the system as if you are spinning 1000's of units , you will have to make new moulds every so often.

Mike Null
08-25-2008, 7:14 AM
We used cast acrylic for our masters which we engraved with the laser. The quality was reasonably good and almost all of what we did was for high school athletic events.

The company sold the equipment a couple of years ago as order volume was not sufficient.

There are EPA issues with this process as well in case anybody is thinking about buying some equipment.

martin g. boekers
08-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Mike,

Do you know anyone in our area that will do this kind of work?

Thanks,

Marty

PS, the grid you made is doing great! It has made my world easier!

Mike Null
08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Marty

Thanks for the kind words about the grid.

I did a quick Google but didn't find anybody local. The company I worked for is a member of a pretty good sized buying group and they're having one of the other members do their work.

Maybe this is something you should present to the powers that be for purchase consideration. There are hundreds of things you could be making for the military/military personnel.

You can make your own masters.

Gary Hair
08-25-2008, 2:12 PM
Marty,
I just cermarked some titanium coins for a customer of mine. These were cutoffs from bar stock but you could get them cut from sheets instead. They lasered exceptionally well, the result was as perfect as I have seen. I have no idea what the price would be but the look was great!

Gary

Mike Null
08-25-2008, 3:16 PM
Gary

If that's a supplier we could all use would you mind posting the name.

Gary Hair
08-25-2008, 7:01 PM
Gary

If that's a supplier we could all use would you mind posting the name.

Mike,
It's actually a local metal fab shop that has a 2k watt laser. I'll check with him to see what he would price out 1.5" discs.

Gary

martin g. boekers
08-25-2008, 9:45 PM
One more thing I haven't thought of is water jet, but I would still would like to have some form of an edge or reeding to give it more of an effect of a coin than a chip.

I glad to see you (Gary) had success with titanium and Cermark. So I'm on the right track!

I have emailed about 15 coin making companies and it took some explaining why I wanted blanks! Basically most said they would do it, but at the same cost as doing regular coins.

I tried to explain that I think this could be a new market for them as there are a lot of lasers out there and I know especially military shops would buy a fair amount of these. It would'nt interfere with there coin market because a die struck coin is still a nice product and these would really be just two dimensional with no relief.

I really see these as nice gifts for many occasions and events!

I'll be working at it as I don't surrender easily.

I'll keep you apprised of what I find and I hope if someone comes up with a solution they'll post it.

Thanks,

Marty

James A. Wolfe
08-26-2008, 1:46 AM
Martin,
Check out this link.
http://www.atdesigns.com/
I was prospecting for something along the same lines as you when I found them. They may fit your needs.
Jim

Mike Null
08-26-2008, 6:37 AM
Marty

General Machine which is south of Belleville on rt. 159 does some heavy duty water jet cutting. The owner is Joe Kreher, 618 234 1919.

He may be willing to give it a try.

martin g. boekers
08-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks I'll check it out. I spend a fair about of time at my brother's screen shop in Smithton so this is right around the corner!

Marty