PDA

View Full Version : Cabinets 101

Burt Alcantara
08-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm going to make a one drawer, one door floor standing cabinet 14x14x27 for a bathroom. To maximize usable space I'm thinking of using 5/8" ply if I can find it.

Will I have any problems if I glue a 1/8" or 1/16" shop made veneer over just the outside of the cabinet? I want to match the wood to a pedestal I made using QSWO and Leopard wood.

Having never made a cabinet before I'm open to all suggestions for everything - wood, joinery, glue, design, hinges, finish, the works.

Thanks,
Burt

Jim Becker
08-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Burt, you should be fine using the shop-made veneer, but you need to remember that you have to do both sides to insure that it stays flat. It may be easier and more practical, however, to source some matching thin veneer from Joe Woodworker or elsewhere. As to the plywood...you're not going to gain a whole lot of space with adjusting the plywood thickness since it's pretty minimal difference. And you're adding back with the veneer, anyway. If you use the thick veneer, just use 1/2" ply...you can build a plenty strong cabinet with it and if you do 1/2" backs it will be that much more rigid.

As to construction, I tend to do pocket screws and/or butt joints with glue as the actual joint strength mechanism. And I pre-finish carcass pieces so I can spray them flat. For hinges, I highly recommend you use Euro style hinges. Easy to work with and very, very adjustable.

Burt Alcantara
08-22-2008, 4:51 PM
Thanks Jim. Good advice.

Burt