PDA

View Full Version : Walnut & Cherry mix question...

Maik Tobin
08-22-2008, 8:02 AM
I am making a hall/entry table that will be 48 inches long and 18 inches deep. I made the base from walnut and it will have two front drawers. I was thinking of making the top and drawer fronts out of cherry for a little contrast (and because I have the cherry), but I am concerned that as the cherry darkens, it wont look so good. I have not seen very much furniture with that combination, so I thought I would ask for opinions here.
Thanks

Jim Becker
08-22-2008, 9:12 AM
I have a few pieces that combine (air dried) walnut and cherry. They start out with some very noticeable contrast, but as time passes, the cherry gets darker and the walnut gets lighter. There is still a difference, but it becomes more and more subtle. If that's ok with you, then it's certainly a nice combination.

Maik Tobin
08-22-2008, 9:29 AM
I have a few pieces that combine (air dried) walnut and cherry. They start out with some very noticeable contrast, but as time passes, the cherry gets darker and the walnut gets lighter. There is still a difference, but it becomes more and more subtle. If that's ok with you, then it's certainly a nice combination.

That's what i was afraid of. I have no figured maple, but I have lots of regular maple...do you think that would be a better choice?

Prashun Patel
08-22-2008, 9:41 AM
I saw a brilliant table with cherry legs and birdseye maple on the top. The grain and color contrast were fantastic. I think you'll get the same good effect with a walnut / maple mix

Jim Becker
08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
That's what i was afraid of. I have no figured maple, but I have lots of regular maple...do you think that would be a better choice?

I personally like mixing maple and walnut. Even though it's "regular" figure, if you choose your stock well for your components, it will look very nice and yes, you will always have a very nice contrast.