PDA

View Full Version : 2 Cherry Bowls

Harvey Meyer
03-11-2003, 6:54 PM
This is the first of 2 bowls I turned from a cherry tree that was cut down at a neighbor's house. This was my first attempt at turning green cherry and I have to say it's quite an experience. I rough turned this one, sealed it, and set it aside. Shortly after, it cracked and checked in ways I couldn't imagine but it never cracked all the way thru the thickness. The grain is so wild that you can't tell which way the tree grew if it wasn't for the sapwood as a reference. I refused to give up on it so I waited a few more weeks and then I finish turned it until I got rid of the cracks. The result is a foot that is proportionately too small for the bowl (IMO), but I can live with it. Then it started cracking again. Refusing to give up, I patiently waited for it to dry thoroughly and then I enlarged and filled the cracks with crushed turquoise stone mixed with some epoxy. Finished with a few coats of Minwax Traditional Rubbing Oil and Beall buffed. Final size is 7.75" diameter and 3.5" high. It's somewhat out of round due to warping while drying.

Harvey Meyer
03-11-2003, 6:55 PM
This is the second of the 2 bowls made from the other half of the log. I didn't rough turn this one. Instead, I turned it down to about 1/2" final thickness and set it aside. This one only cracked in the foot, but it warped and contorted a good bit. After it dried, I leveled the top and turned away most of the cracked foot. The grain is also very wild. There was a small pitch pocket on the exterior so I dug it out and filled it in with crushed turquoise stone mixed with some epoxy. Finished with a few coats of Minwax Traditional Rubbing Oil and Beall buffed. Final size is 8.5" diameter and 3" high. This bowl is donated to a fund raiser art auction at my son's school.

Randy Gleckler
03-11-2003, 7:30 PM
Wow, those are great bowls,

Thanks for sharing.... Those both look awesome..

Rtg

Ken Wright
03-11-2003, 7:43 PM
Don't blame you .... I'd work pretty hard to save cherry with beautiful grain like that ..... Its true isn't it?? The second thing a woodworker learns is how to take care of either the mistakes or the bad luck ...... ya did good!!!

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-11-2003, 8:56 PM
I've been working a lot with some green cherry wood I acquired through my BIL ... I have fourteen 8 foot logs ... 14 - 18 inches around ... to get blanks out of. Have you ever tried the LDD system on your bowls? I've been doing it and haven't had one bowl crack on me! I rough turn the bowl, leaving a tenon for my Super Nova chuck. I then submerge the bowl(s) in Ldd for two days, take them out and let them dry for three to four days, then finish turn. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes! You get nice long streams of shavings. It smells good and it's good for your hands.:) ... and it doesn't discolor the wood if you use clear LDD. No waiting for air drying for weeks at a time. You can see the one I just completed and sold at my previous posting on March 10 for "Weekend Accomplishments".

John Miliunas
03-11-2003, 9:20 PM
Hey Ron S. (or anyone with the answer), this is most probably a really dumb question, but I just need to know: What in the world is the "LDD System"? I've gathered that you take green wood, rough turn it, soak it in something (LDD?) and you're ready to give it the final spin. Que paso this "LDD System" and/or where can I find more info on it? Obviously, I do a bit of turning, but equally as obvious, I'm truly a novice at it. Any additional info would be much appreciated! :cool:

Ted Shrader
03-11-2003, 9:27 PM
Harvey -

Nice work. I REALLY like the second one.

Ted

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-11-2003, 9:35 PM
What in the world is the "LDD System"? I've gathered that you take green wood, rough turn it, soak it in something (LDD?) and you're ready to give it the final spin. Que paso this "LDD System" and/or where can I find more info on it

John ... LDD is simply an acronym for Liquid Dishwashing Detergent ... dish soap. There are numerous threads out there if you do a search. I've found a 1 to 1 mix of LDD and water works good for me. I know there are folks who experiment with different mixes, so you can adjust until you're comfortable. I bought six 1/2 gallon bottles of Joy (clear kind) at Sam's Club, poured it into a spare cooler I had and added the water. I wanted something with a lid, hence the cooler. I rough turn, plop them in for a couple of days, making sure they're weighted down for complete coverage, take them out and let dry several days, then finish turning. It makes final turning and sanding a breeze. I know there are some folks out there who know a lot more about it than I do, but all I know is it works for me. You ought to give it a try just for the heck of it.

John Miliunas
03-11-2003, 9:50 PM
So, you start with green wood, rough it out and soak. I got that part, but you only let it "dry" for a few days? This in itself, leads to more questions: Won't it continue to dry long, long after you finish turning it? With that in mind, isn't that an invitation for the wood to crack and/or warp? What final thickness can one expect to turn the walls down to? Finally, if it's only had a few days to "dry", what kind of finish does one use? Sorry for the "3rd degree", but you seem to be very pleased with the results and it's always great to get some 1st hand info. Really appreciate it, as well!

W.C. Turner
03-12-2003, 1:27 AM
John,

You can go to Ron Kent's website, the inventer of this soap method and get the low down.

Click on this link, and then click on Techniques to read.

http://www.ronkent.com

Jim Izat
03-12-2003, 7:39 AM
Absolutely beautiful work. I rather like the more diminutive foot!

Jim Izat

Glenn Hodges
03-12-2003, 7:55 AM
Thanks for sharring your bowls with us. I do like cherry, but I have also found it a cracking experience. The color and grain pattern in your bowls show the effort of working with cherry is well worth it. Nice saves, good bowls.
Glenn Hodges
Nashville, Georgia

Randy Miller
03-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Harvey,
Great job! I loved both bowls. Really love the second, simply stunning.
Keep 'em coming!
-Randy

Bob Oswin
03-12-2003, 1:30 PM
Very pretty stuff.
Definitely family heirlooms.

Bob

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-12-2003, 7:35 PM
Nice work Harvy, a very pleasing looking wood, lovely on the lathe too,

Take care,
Jim:)