PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a random Obit sander

Steven Bolton
08-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Is there a random Orbital sander that anyone can recommend. I have used the Porter Cable ones and recently bought one of the new models. It vibrates something terrible.

Thanks

Steve Bolton

Dennis Puskar
08-21-2008, 11:46 PM
There is a article in wood Mag. issue 186 October on ROS. I think it may help you make a decision on which one to buy.

Dennis

David DeCristoforo
08-21-2008, 11:51 PM
I have found the PC RO sanders to be of poor quality. They vibrate too much, are hard to hold onto and crap out at an alarming rate. I usually buy the DeWalt ROs and "palm" sanders. I keep thinking about Festool but the price has been more than I'm willing to choke down just to "try" a sander. One of these days.....

Cody Colston
08-21-2008, 11:55 PM
The October issue of WOOD magazine featured a comparison of 5" ROS's. The top tool was proclaimed to be the PC 390K. The top value was the Milwaukee 6021-21 model. The Festool ETS125, while said to be very smooth with a great finish was not nearly as aggressive as the other models tested, finishing in the bottom third in that particular measurement. Also, the paper bag collector was thought flimsy and the sander hard to control when hooked to a shop vac.

FWIW, the PC 343VSK was said to vibrate and rock more than it should. Is that the model you bought?

Steven Bolton
08-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Yes it is.

SB

Alan Schaffter
08-22-2008, 12:02 AM
You want a good ROS- try Dynabrade air powered- the choice of furniture factories and autobody shops. Small, comfortable, powerful, minimal vibration, high RPM and orbit speed. Dust collection choices: none, self-generated (venturi), and central vac ready. 6", 5" and smaller pad sizes available in PSA and H&L. Price- more than most, but less than Festool and well worth it. Extremely well, US, made.

Lance Norris
08-22-2008, 12:35 AM
The October issue of WOOD magazine featured a comparison of 5" ROS's. The top tool was proclaimed to be the PC 390K.

I just purchased the PC 390K, based on Wood Magazines recommendation, and can confirm it is an excellent sander. It is smooth, powerful, and has great dust collection. I recommend it highly. It is a little more money than most ROS at $129.

glenn bradley
08-22-2008, 1:00 AM
I've used the heck out of a Bosch 1295DVS although some folks have posted that the brushes wear out too quickly. I probably just don't run it as hard as I think. A 30 minute session repeated a few times a day is normal for me when I am at that stage of a project. With the vac adapter ($2-3) it picks up more dust than it makes. You can find them for around $60 recon'd or without a case. The VS is a must for me, YMMV.

Wayne Cannon
08-22-2008, 2:37 AM
A friend at the local company that manufactures on-the-road cable-car replicas and sands a lot of oak for the bench seats said they had found P-C sanders did not hold up well. He recommended DeWalt based on their experience. (FWIW, I have P-C sanders and have had to repair them).

Rich Engelhardt
08-22-2008, 4:11 AM
Hello,
Interesting.
I thought the PC "freebie" I got was just a bad one. Mine came as a "freebie" w/the purchase of a 690 router last winter. It does walk around a lot.
I prefer the DeWalt I have, over the PC. It's much smoother.

Jack Briggs
08-22-2008, 7:36 AM
Dynabrade.

Alex Shanku
08-22-2008, 8:14 AM
+1 on the Bosch 1295DVS

I do NOT use the vacuum connection, only the built in dust canister, and I am very pleased with the amount of dust that is collected. Actually, the only dust that escapes is when you move the sander over the edge of a piece.

Ive had mine for ~2yrs and no problems at all.

Greg Narozniak
08-22-2008, 9:21 AM
I recently purchased a Bosch 1250DEVS. The reviews on here were great, Many commented on the "Festool Like" Rotex action and they were 100% correct. I have used it to sand a 30' x 40' deck and it worked like a charm in the Turbo mode.

I played with it in the "standard" mode and it seemed very smooth.

I am very pleased with my purchase.

Prashun Patel
08-22-2008, 9:45 AM
+1 on the Bosch. If you buy it, though, I suggest you spring for the $3.00 vacuum hose attachment (and a coupler to connect it to standard shopvac hose). The cannister is effective, but it does fill up quickly.

Peter Quinn
08-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Festool 125 or 150/3. Strap the cord to the hose with velcro ties from the Borg, hang the hose from an over head hook and voila. I have found that any sander hooked to a vacuum can be cumbersome if you let that hose get in the way. i use mine with a PC vac, I have used it with a $50 portable rigid vac too, works just fine. The festool vac is a nice vacuum but not expressly necessary. The paper filter on the Festool is of little value, I have used it once in a pinch, not much good. Aggressive is not a feature I look for in a finish sander, but with an 80 grit pad I can take a 1/16" off using the festool quick. But typically by the time I am holding my ROS I am looking to finesse the wood. If you are trying to sand paint or strip something this may not be the sander for you.

A dynabrade is a nice choice if you have the air, and $250 to spend. I use them at work. In my own shop its Festool now.

Rob Cooper
08-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Another happy Bosch user. It is smooth and has great dust collection with the mentioned adapters. I use it one notch below full speed and notice very vittle vibration.

jason lambert
08-22-2008, 1:59 PM
Had the bosh loved it, can't say anything bad a real workhorse. I got the Festool so much better I will never us anything else, sold the bosh. All depends on your buget.

Doug Barker
08-22-2008, 2:06 PM
I recommend the Bosch. I have 2 or 3 Bosch tools, and they are top of the line, in my opinion.

If you need the model number, just let me know and I will check tonight.

Verne Mattson
08-22-2008, 4:13 PM
What size air compressor would you need for the Dynabride?

Gary Lange
08-22-2008, 4:31 PM
I have the DeWalt D26451 and am very happy with it. It does a very nice job of sanding and dust collection in the little bag is excellent.

Terry Sparks
08-22-2008, 5:12 PM
What size air compressor would you need for the Dynabride?

50 gallon minimum, 80 gallon is better and you will need 220 volt power.

Doug Shepard
08-22-2008, 6:08 PM
I've got an older DeWalt that's certainly earned it's purchase price. Forget the model number but it's the older single speed version of their current 1-speed model. It works well enough, but tends to get rather hot (not terrible) after a while and vibration (once again not terrible) is hard on the hand after a while even wearing a padded glove. And it's got built-in dust projection:D If there was one tool to get from Festool, a ROS and vac would be it. No heat buildup, no vibration-sore hands, and NO DUST.

Mike Cornelsen
08-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I Googled "best random orbit sander" a couple of years ago and came across an old (2003) ROS review from Workbench magazine. I bought a Ridgid R2611 based on ergonomics. Inline handle to the rear, palm grip on top and a handle on the front. It's been fine for my (weekend WW) uses.

Leonard Clark
08-23-2008, 10:25 AM
I sand large aircraft for a living and I find that a Dynabrad is one of the best for sanding. Air powered and I can sand all day long and not a have a problem. Light and vibration free. I use a 6 inch pad. plus sanding the bottom of the wing can put a hurting on you if you have a cheap one. Look for a used one because they retail over $200 new. I have never heard abad word about them.

Charlie Plesums
08-23-2008, 3:24 PM
I am surprised nobody mentioned Makita. I have two of them, plus a Festool sander - the long story comparing the two (and why I decided to keep the Matkitas) is at www.plesums.com/wood/tips/festool.html

David Peters
08-23-2008, 4:04 PM
If dust extraction is important to you, consider the Festool. Certainly pricey, but when paired with their vac (others will do, Festool's is exceptional), you can sand with a long-sleeve black turtleneck on, and not notice any dust on your arms.

jim oakes
08-23-2008, 4:32 PM
I just purchased the PC 390K, based on Wood Magazines recommendation, and can confirm it is an excellent sander. It is smooth, powerful, and has great dust collection. I recommend it highly. It is a little more money than most ROS at $129.

Lance, Does it stop as soon as you let off the trigger like PC claims? That would be a great feature.

Cary Falk
08-23-2008, 6:48 PM
I am surprised nobody mentioned Makita. I have two of them, plus a Festool sander - the long story comparing the two (and why I decided to keep the Matkitas) is at www.plesums.com/wood/tips/festool.html (http://www.plesums.com/wood/tips/festool.html)

I agree with Charlie. All of my sanders are Makita and love each one of them. I have a 6" ros, 1/4 sheet, and 2 belt sanders.

Steven Bolton
08-23-2008, 6:58 PM
I actually was surprised no one brought up Makita until now. I have their belt sand and it is good. I had Porter Cable belt sanders and I like the Makita better.

Can you get hook and loop with Makita?

sb

Robert Strasser
08-23-2008, 8:00 PM
I have several brands of sanders, but I use the Festool sanders almost all the time now. I have 5 Festool sanders. They are much more quiet and have less vibration than the PC and Dewalts I have. The October Wood Magazine review of 12 sanders tested the noise level of each sander. The Festool sander was 5 db more quiet than the next least noisy sander. That is 3 times the noise! Noise usually means more vibration and a poorer (or cheaper) design. Especially the motor and bearings.

Cary Falk
08-23-2008, 9:44 PM
I actually was surprised no one brought up Makita until now. I have their belt sand and it is good. I had Porter Cable belt sanders and I like the Makita better.

Can you get hook and loop with Makita?

sb
Every ROS on this page is H&L.
http://www.cpomakita.com/sanders_and_polishers/random_orbit_sanders/

Brian Peters
08-23-2008, 9:58 PM
I third the dynabride, for air powered its superior, and if you have the compressor its often better than an electric powered ROS. Just a better overall tool, well US made, air powered tools usually last longer anyways.

Robert Chapman
08-28-2008, 8:10 AM
The Oct issue of Popular Woodworking compares 10 random orbit sanders and picks the Rigid R2600 as their choice.

Stan Smith
08-28-2008, 6:33 PM
Ihave a Dewalt 6", a PC333, and a Makita sheet sander. Of these, I use the 333 the most. I have it hooked up to my Fein vac and dust is no problem. The 333 has held up very well but it does vibrate some. I'm thinking of just giving the 333 to my son-in-law and getting the 390. IMHO, there is something to be said for how long a power tool lasts, but ease of use and results are more important to me. I had some corded power drills that I bought from Penny's when they had a hardware dept.. I bought those on the recommendation of Consumers Reports. The didn't have variable speeds, clutches, etc., but they just kept on keeping on. Finally, I just gave them to my kids and those drills are still going. Now I just try to get the best that I can afford. If I can't afford a particular tool, I just without. I actually don't mind doing some things by hand-

Lance Norris
08-28-2008, 9:03 PM
Lance, Does it stop as soon as you let off the trigger like PC claims? That would be a great feature.

Jim... Im sorry, I wasnt paying attention. I just checked and it takes exactly 2 seconds to stop.

Peter Quadarella
08-28-2008, 9:13 PM
I tried a Dynabrade at IWF and it was awesome. I wish I had the air (and room) for stuff like that - so much lighter and more comfortable than electric. I currently have the Ridgid one and it was very cheap and it's ok (it's not the most comfortable, but it's decent value for money).

Don Bullock
08-28-2008, 10:46 PM
After my Bosch failed the second time after very limited use I bought a Festool and it's fantastic. The first failure for the Bosch required the replacement of the variable speed switch. I have no idea why it failed a second time because I demanded my money back. I must say that after several emails back and forth with Bosch CS reps over several weeks they did give me a complete refund. They wanted to repair it and send it back. I demanded the refund because I lost confidence in the sander and had already bought the Festool to replace it.

Brian Penning
08-29-2008, 6:17 AM
I have/had both the PC and the Ridgid 5".
Gave the PC away to my brother -probably hates me even more now!
Ridgid is quieter, smoother(less vibration), better DC, longer cord and I like the lighted symbol of the sander on the plug -helps on the powerbar to know which plug is for what tool.

Steve Nouis
08-29-2008, 6:22 AM
If you want a sander thats really fast and makes huge amounts of dust try a Milwaukee 6125 ( Around $160 and it doubles as a angle grinder). Thats what I use 85% of the time, it really does good on big flat surfaces, nothing you'ld want to use for rounding off corners. I mount the handle on top for good contol. You need a good dust mask and a air filter. Steve

John Holder
08-29-2008, 9:33 AM
I worked with metal before wood and am surprized at how many wood workers only have pancake compressors. Any cheap DA will sand like a belt sander in rotation only mode and still do some fine sanding in orbital mode. I would rather have a cheap pneumatic than any electric. I have the IR palm and have used the dyna at my buddies paint shop. It is lighter and quieter but the IR does the job pretty good. You will need at least a 60gal to keep up with a sander well, but well worth the money.

Stan Smith
08-29-2008, 10:23 AM
I just ordered a PC 390 at Ace Tool, online, for $129. Watch what you pay. I've seen these going for over $209 at other online sites. SWMBO gave me the go-ahead so I didn't waste any time.

Steve Nouis
08-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I worked with metal before wood and am surprized at how many wood workers only have pancake compressors. Any cheap DA will sand like a belt sander in rotation only mode and still do some fine sanding in orbital mode. I would rather have a cheap pneumatic than any electric. I have the IR palm and have used the dyna at my buddies paint shop. It is lighter and quieter but the IR does the job pretty good. You will need at least a 60gal to keep up with a sander well, but well worth the money.
John If you tried the one I mentioned above you might change your mind, it's as fast as any air DA and you don't need a big compressor to run it. Steve

Andy Casiello
08-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I have the DeWalt D26453K 5" 8 hole hook and loop ROS. It's a great sander! Really works hard, variable speed is great and the dust collection is great.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=9434