PDA

View Full Version : Congratulating Myself ....

David DeCristoforo
08-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Today is my 2 month "anniversary" of being a "non smoker". Feel free to pat me on the back. But not too hard, OK?

Jason Whelehon
08-21-2008, 11:17 PM
W00T!!!

Congrats!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Congrats David! :)

How many people have you drop kicked into the next county?:rolleyes: It's a booger brother but it's been over 2 1/2 years for me. If I can do it anyone can!

Keep at it.

David DeCristoforo
08-21-2008, 11:48 PM
"How many people have you drop kicked....?"

Haven't kicked anybody..... yet. Just the cigs. Ya know what's funny? When I was smoking I felt like a loner. It seemed like I was always the only one smoking in any situation I found myself in. But now that I'm not smoking it seems like everywhere I go, everyone is suckin' up cigs....

Jason Beam
08-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Congrats, sir!

I quit on Valentines Day, 2004. Did you just go frigid foul or did you enlist aid?

Bill Wyko
08-22-2008, 12:48 AM
God Bless you David. That was one of the wisest decisions in your life. That means we will enjoy you skills and wisdom around here for much longer. Thank you my friend.

James G. Jones
08-22-2008, 1:22 AM
Congratulations David. Right about 7 years for me. You'll know you have it fully kicked when you walk in to a store or building and walk through the folks puffing away outside and wonder why you ever lit one up in the first place. I do remember chewing the heck out of some gum for the first 6 months or so though.

James

glenn bradley
08-22-2008, 2:12 AM
Congrats! Keep 'er goin'

Jason Roehl
08-22-2008, 3:57 AM
Good for you, David! Keep it up, your body will thank you for it.

Glenn Clabo
08-22-2008, 7:29 AM
Keep it up. It's a BIG deal that some really don't understand until it's too late.
Way to go David!

Gary Max
08-22-2008, 7:52 AM
This coming Jan 17th will be 3 years for me--------just don't ever
"smoke just one " and you have it beat.
The only down side---I am still trying to lose the extra weight I found.

Belinda Barfield
08-22-2008, 8:37 AM
Way to go David!

Jim Becker
08-22-2008, 8:48 AM
Most excellent, David!!! I hope to be around when you report your 2 year and 2 decade anniversary of the same! :)

Greg Cole
08-22-2008, 8:57 AM
Congrats David.
I just attended a funeral for a friend and coworker of 5 years this past Tuesday. My friend, Ken Stark, was 49 years old & was diagnosed with cancer less than 12 months ago. My father in law also passed from lung cancer less than 2 years ago.
My mother (one of the sweetest women on the planet) smoked for many years during my formative years and it was hell on her to quit. She was less than sweet for quite a few months as I remember.... thanks to Mom smoking and watching her quit I've never had a drag off one.
There is never a bad time to quit.

Greg

Bryan Berguson
08-22-2008, 9:40 AM
Good going David! I hope you are successful and never go back!

Bryan

Danny Thompson
08-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Way to go, David! Good to have you around.

Mark Singer
08-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Congradulations! You used to be Japanese about a yer ago..... I guess you quit that too;)

Phyllis Meyer
08-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Awesome News! You should be very proud of yourself! Have a great smoke-free day!!

Phyllis:)

Von Bickley
08-22-2008, 1:09 PM
Congratulations David,

November 23, 1996 - The day I had a heart attack and the last day I smoked.

The doctors explained it to me in a way I could understand. Quitting is one of the hardest things to do, but it will be worth it for you.

Hang in there..... You can do it.:)

Scott Kilroy
08-22-2008, 1:33 PM
Speaking from experience, every day you add since you quit it will get easier.

Dave Verstraete
08-22-2008, 2:05 PM
Way to go, David. It gets easier. Eventually the smoke will irritate you instead of inviting you.

6 years 21 days 14 hrs. and 6 minutes for me

KEEP ON QUITTING!!

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-22-2008, 4:23 PM
"How many people have you drop kicked....?" I have kicked plenty but drop kicked. I ain't strong enough to do the picking up part for the dropping part .

[...] kicked [..] the cigs.
CONGRATULATIONS~!!!
I tried to do this several times and failed failed failed. Finally, my first born came along and that was the trick.

Richard M. Wolfe
08-22-2008, 4:46 PM
Had some tough times? Feel like clawing the walls or scrounging the neighborhood sidewalks for something with a couple drags left? Whenever you think about firing one up, think how much wasted misery you would have put yourself through. :) That and the fact you'd hate yourself for doing it afterward.

Congrats.

Matt Ocel
08-22-2008, 6:30 PM
I smoked 2 packs a day.

Then I had 2 daughters.

I wanted to make sure I saw them graduate from H.S.

I quit "cold turkey" over 15 years ago. Woke up one morning and said never a cigerette again. Looked at my pack of camel lights every day for two weeks sitting on the coffee table before I finally threw them out.

Haven't missed them once.

My youngest just graduated from H.S.

If you want to quit smoking, you just have to quit smoking.

P.S. Good for you David.

David DeCristoforo
08-22-2008, 6:36 PM
Yeah it's a beeatch. But I already feel so much better. No weight gain yet... In fact it might go the other way because I have so much more energy that I'm working harder and longer in the shop and that is not likely to result in weight gain! As to chewing gum... yes I am chewing gum. Also fingernails, sticks, chicken bones, whatever. But most of all I'm chewing my tongue which, what with all that chewing, has been bitten so many times in the last two months that I have lost count.

I know this is a good thing because my wife used to jump whenever I put my hands on her or my feet because she said they felt so cold. But now she says how warm they are (and you know what that can lead to.....) so I know from that that my circulation is already improved. Mood swings? Well all I can say is that if this is anything like what the women go through with PMS, I can sympathize. But I understand this to be a "normal" part of quitting and that things should settle down after a while.

Bruce Page
08-22-2008, 6:38 PM
Congrats David. It's been 20 months for SWMBO & I.

(Actually, 20 months, 22 days, 10 hours, 36 min., & 44 seconds........................................... . kidding! :D)

Dennis Peacock
08-22-2008, 6:45 PM
Most Excellent David..!!!!! Keep it up buddy..!!!!!! If I can put down tobacco? Then anybody can!!!! Been quit now for almost 1 year...after doing it for almost 32 years.

Mark Hix
08-22-2008, 7:28 PM
Congratulations, over 15 yrs myself....lets see, at a carton a week savings, times how many weeks to get the new lathe?......longer life and a side benfit! Keep it up!

Jim O'Dell
08-22-2008, 7:37 PM
Congrats David!! I'm another who never smoked, but watched my Dad quit when I was 5 years old. I know it must have been hard on him, even though I don't remember that part. He smoked 4 packs a day at that point, and quit because of the money...35 cents a pack!! :eek: He actually never even gained weight, but wished he had. He's still going strong at almost 79 years old. Doctors don't see any problems in the lungs because of the smoking.
So keep it up! Glad you're already seeing some good changes. That will help keep you going. Jim.

mark page
08-22-2008, 8:46 PM
Congratulations.
I quit when I was taking Chantix and it definately helped out. I did have a side effect of slight nausea for about an hour after taking it. Then I switched career positions where I could take a smoke break whenever I felt like it, and am now as it seems smoking more than I did before. Am going back on the Chantix and staying on it this time. I've been smoking for 35 yrs and am starting to feel its wrath.
Again congratulations for a job well done, for I know it was not an easy one.

Peter Stahl
08-22-2008, 9:26 PM
Way to go David. Not a easy thing to do, give yourself a big pat.

Clifford Mescher
08-23-2008, 10:12 AM
I quit over 20 years ago and it still smells good to me.Clifford

Ron Jones near Indy
08-23-2008, 6:34 PM
Way to go David!!

Billy Chambless
08-23-2008, 6:41 PM
Good job David!

Quitting may be rough, but it beat the heck out of dragging an O2 tank around later in life.

David DeCristoforo
08-23-2008, 7:54 PM
"...but it beat the heck out of dragging an O2 tank around..."

Yes... that is a good point!