PDA

View Full Version : busy bee natural edges

Maria Alvarado
08-21-2008, 8:26 PM
Here are a bunch I just finished with one major mishap. See if you can spot it.

Natural edge from a crotch piece. Cherry, 11 x 8

The bottom

Cherry, NE end grain, turned to completion green and allowed to warp

Second cherry NE turned green as above

And after the Beall buff did a snatch and launch

I'm SOOO depressed:(

Maria Alvarado
08-21-2008, 8:29 PM
only 5 per post

Another view of the end grain cherry

NE cherry with bug holes

small crotch dish

and a natural edge hollow form in, you guessed it, cherry!

THanks for looking.

Toney Robertson
08-21-2008, 8:55 PM
I like the first one most of all.

Nice job.

I have never had the beal take one out of my hands and after viewing what it did to yours I hope I never do.

Toney

Steve Schlumpf
08-21-2008, 9:01 PM
Maria - I have to admit that I like all the ones you turned out of cherry! Very nice work! The one piece that really did catch my eye is your NE hollow form! Great shape!

Paul Downes
08-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Maria, The bowls look great. My first thought after looking at the launched bowl was that all you need to do is make a spoon/ladel to fit in the notch. If you plan on selling the piece the customer will think it was a planned work of art!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-22-2008, 12:27 AM
They all look great Maria. I like the NE HF the most.....but they all look great. The beal buffer should be looked by NASA as a launch tool! It's amazing how many bank shots can happen off the walls and ceiling in my shop!

Maria Alvarado
08-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Paul, why didn't I think design opportunity? Brilliant! Depending on the customer it can be practical, or simply fraught with social commentary, ahh yes the wheels are turning! It's amazing just how quick to grab the wheel can be. It actually landed in a pile of shavings. If only it hadn't hit the ways first...
Thanks to all for your comments. My fav is the hollow form too, though I have to admit, it's only "just so" hollow.

Leo Van Der Loo
08-22-2008, 3:55 AM
Darn Maria you make nice turnings, but I wish you would make the pictures twice the size they are now, these old eyes up here have a hard time seeing all the beauty that's in them :o:)
Thanks for showing, and yes I have a free standing buffer, though that still does the same thing as yours, the floor is hard also :o :mad:

robert hainstock
08-22-2008, 9:42 AM
You have an artist eye for form girl. Those are beauties.
Are you using a 3600 rpm buffer? If so you would be much happier with a 1725rpm or even less. My rule for buffing turnings is always buff downhill. Or from the center to the edge.. And I use the ball buffs inside of smaller pieces. :eek::):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Great looking pieces Maria. I really like the NE HF. Well done.

Curt Fuller
08-22-2008, 6:38 PM
Those are all very nice, even the launched one. But my favorite is the cherry NE with the crotchwood. The shape of those type bowls reminds me of a tractor seat. They always have such pretty grain in them too.

Maria Alvarado
08-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks to all for the encouraging words. For those that requested larger pix, I don't know whether you can re-upload attached pictures, but I've posted some of the recent ones on my homepage (see profile for link). Now you can see the glaring sanding marks.:rolleyes: