PDA

View Full Version : Removing ADA plastic with adhesive from sign

Bob Cole
08-21-2008, 7:34 PM
One of my clients asked if I could remove the lettering from one of their signs and replace with different lettering. I didn't do the original sign and it appears the adhesive that was used is not going to easily come off. Also, the sign is wood with a laminate so I can't just remove the lettering and refinish.

The entire sign is 10" X 5'. Each letter is 4" tall made out of 1/16th ADA alternative (or equivalent). The message is on both sides. The laminate is a light colored wood (probably a maple).

Someone mentioned I may be able to apply heat to the letters first and see if that works but I wanted to ask if this is possible or would be cost effective. I need to get the client the cost for me to remove the letters and put the new letters on. I get the feeling that they don't want to pay too much for this, which is normal, but don't want to undervalue it.

Doug Bergstrom
08-22-2008, 3:22 PM
You can use Vinyl off to help remove the letters and re do the sign. I usually tell our customers to switch and make a new sign on alumalite which will not weather like wood and is easier to modify. It is usually cheaper as well by the time I figure the labor in removing and getting the board ready.

Bob Cole
08-23-2008, 4:23 PM
This is an internal sign and it matches all the wood trim throughout the office. It is a nice looking sign. I don't have the skills to remake the entire sign but thought the letters is something I could tackle.

Do you think the vinyl-off will work even though the letters are 1/16 plastic?

If I am able to get the lettering off, what would you typically charge for this? I have to remove 10 letters on each side (4" letter height) and then put on 10 letters plus an arrow graphic. I am going to use the same 1/16 ADA plastic.

Bob Cole
08-24-2008, 12:06 AM
I used an embossing heat tool and was able to soften the 1/16th acrylic enough to almost peel it off. It will probably take me about 30 minutes to remove the rest of the letters and clean up the residue.

I'm still struggling with what I would charge for the lettering. I have the "shop" charge figured out but not what I should send as a quote to the client.