PDA

View Full Version : Veneer Panels - Examples for class

Mike Henderson
08-21-2008, 6:26 PM
Below are some veneer panels I did for a class I'm teaching. They're mostly to show the students some of the design possibilities with veneer.

The first one is a compass rose and sand shaded fan on a background of waterfall bubinga with wenge border (the rose is maple and wenge, the fans are maple - trim of bloodwood and holly). The second is a different design compass rose on a background of walnut burl, with a border of wenge (the rose is holly and wenge- trim of holly and blue dyed poplar).

The third is Louis cubes with a border of maple (the cubes are maple, olive ash and some other veneer I had laying around - trim of bloodwood and holly). The fourth is a simple basket weave with a border of ash (the weave is maple and the vertical bars are holly - trim of wenge and holly).

I still have a couple more that I want to do but...

Mike

Chris Friesen
08-21-2008, 6:53 PM
Very nice. Is that sand shading on the basket weave?

Mike Henderson
08-21-2008, 6:58 PM
Very nice. Is that sand shading on the basket weave?
Yes, it is. Or, at least my poor attempt at it.

Mike

Johnny Kleso
08-21-2008, 7:14 PM
The fourth is a simple basket weave with a border of ash.

Yeah right maybe simple for you,
I'm still working on my first veneer glue up :)

mike marconi
08-21-2008, 7:15 PM
They look great Mike. Are you sawing your own veneers or using commercial ones.

Mike

Randy Klein
08-21-2008, 7:17 PM
Very nice, those look almost 3-D and that third one reminds me of the Q-bert video game.:D

Mike Henderson
08-21-2008, 7:19 PM
They look great Mike. Are you sawing your own veneers or using commercial ones.

Mike
I use commercial veneers. They have a much greater variety than I'd ever get from sawing them myself, and at a lower price. Certainly Wood is where I got most of the veneer in the examples.

Mike

Mike Henderson
08-21-2008, 7:21 PM
Yeah right maybe simple for you,
I'm still working on my first veneer glue up :)
There are some much more complex basket weave patterns, which is why I called this one "simple". It's much easier to do than the more complex ones.

The Louis cubes are fairly tedious to do.

Mike

mike marconi
08-21-2008, 7:33 PM
Mike

Have you played around with dyeing any veneers?

I need some dyed veneers for a marquetry project. I've been using popular sawn to about 3/32 and trying various dyes. But have yet to come up with a good algorithm regarding length of soak time and what type of dyes. I would like the color saturated completely through the veneer.

Just wondering if you've tried or had any thoughts?

Mike

Mike Henderson
08-21-2008, 7:39 PM
Mike

Have you played around with dyeing any veneers?

I need some dyed veneers for a marquetry project. I've been using popular sawn to about 3/32 and trying various dyes. But have yet to come up with a good algorithm regarding length of soak time and what type of dyes. I would like the color saturated completely through the veneer.

Just wondering if you've tried or had any thoughts?

Mike
I have not done any amount of dyeing of veneer. What I have done was done with a water based dye - just soaking the veneer for a long time.

Constantine's (http://www.constantines.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=169)sells some dyed veneer - see if they have the colors you need.

Mike

Johnny Kleso
08-21-2008, 8:33 PM
I have a lot of veneer I got from ebay..
I just bought some 24 sqft of waterfall bubinga for $50

I also had bought a lot figured maple packs of birdseye and curly for $30 for 100 sqft

They have some great deals every now and then, I just need to start using it :)

Brent Smith
08-21-2008, 9:13 PM
Beautiful work Mike!! How long would you say each of them took to do?

Jim Becker
08-21-2008, 9:46 PM
WOW....awesome work, Mike.

Mike Henderson
08-21-2008, 9:58 PM
Beautiful work Mike!! How long would you say each of them took to do?
Well, you have to understand that I'm retired so things don't get done at a rapid rate. And those four pictures represent two panels - you're looking at the front and back side of two panels.

But given all that, I suppose I took two days for each face - a bit longer for the Louis cubes because it's so tedious. I'd just get tired of putting those pieces together and quit for the day.

The easiest piece is the basket weave. You sand shade long pieces, then tape them together with the holly, then cut strips. The strips are put back together with an offset to form the basket weave. The only hard part is making sure the holly pieces line up. It looks odd if they zig-zag up the face.

Thanks for your kind words.

Mike

Johnny Kleso
08-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Mike,
In the Louis cubes are all the ieces cut the same size or are some different?

I need to make something for the inside of my No.55 box and wanted something that had a wow factor when opened ..

Do you have any designs for inside of a tool box lid????

Mike Henderson
08-21-2008, 10:57 PM
I just walked into the shop and took these pictures so I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

But first, Louis cubes are not a good first project with veneer. They require great accuracy and are very tedious. There are also problems that don't appear until you're almost finished which tends to discourage people.

But given that, let's look at the pictures. You'll need three kinds of veneer, one light, one dark and one intermediate between the two. It generally does not look good to have white (like holly) and black (like ebony or dyed black).

The first thing is to make a strip that defines the width of each piece (see first pix). Next, cut your veneer maybe 2' long. All three colors and enough of it so you don't have to go back and cut more.

Lay your veneer against the edge of your cutting board and put the cutting strip over it and against the edge of the board (see pix 2). Use your veneer saw and cut your strips.

This gives you veneer strips the width of your cutting strip (see pix 3). You need to fasten a board on your cutting board at 60* to the front edge. Use a 30/60/90 triangle to lay this in. Put your veneer strip against that board (see pix 4).

[continued on next posting]

Mike Henderson
08-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Push the strip down against the front of the cutting board and against the 60* board. Lay your cutting strip on top of the veneer and against the front of the cutting board. Use a chisel (a very sharp chisel) to cut pieces off the veneer strip (see pix 5 & 6).

This gives you these little diamonds (see pix 7). That diamond is unusable because the top point is not sharp.

Take one diamond of each color and put them together to form a box (see pix 8). Put a piece of tape on them to hold them together (see pix 9).

The final thing is to assemble the boxes into the final pattern.

The problem you encounter is "cumulative error". That is, as you assemble the boxes, you'll get each one off by a small amount. You'll then find that nothing you can do will get the boxes to fit together, and all you can do is start over.

I absolutely would not recommend starting with Louis cubes. Do some simpler patterns first and then move up to Louis cubes.

Good luck!

Mike

Robert Rozaieski
08-22-2008, 7:57 AM
That's really cool Mike! I have not yet done any veneering as I'm not much a fan of the Federal style, but these would be real cool on a lot of things, obviously not just period furniture. Just another thing to add to the roundtuit list.

Alex Shanku
08-22-2008, 8:34 AM
Really cool Mike!!!!

Could you tell me what "sand shading" is?

Also, is that how you achieved the shadow effect on the fans in the first panel?

Thanks

John Dykes
08-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Cripes!

Ever plan on teaching in Denver?

Or, short of that, suggest a good book, method, or video for the ignorant?

jbd in Denver

Mike Henderson
08-22-2008, 11:28 AM
For many veneer designs you want the look of a shadow. The traditional way to achieve this is to "char" the veneer in hot sand.

You take a pan and put about an inch to an inch and a half of clean sand in it. I use an old cast iron skillet but almost any pan will do. Put the pan on a stove - I use an electric hot plate - and heat it. You monitor the temperature by sticking a piece of veneer into the sand - but not so far that it hits the bottom of the pan. I like the veneer to char in about 15 seconds. This is fast enough that you don't forget it, but slow enough to give you some control. If it's too hot, you burn (and waste) too much because you leave it too long in the sand.

That's about it. The heat of the sand darkens the veneer and does so through and through - so you can sand without removing it.

There's a lot of subtle aspects to the work, however. It's easy to burn the veneer too much (so just take another piece and try again). Also, the veneer shrinks when you shade it so it's best to trim the veneer after you shade it.

For greater control, you can take a spoon and spoon the hot sand onto the veneer in the places you want the shading. The sand has to be hotter to do this.

Do a search on "sand shading" and you'll probably find some demos of it.

The fans in the first picture (above) are sand shaded, as is the basket weave. There are a lot of other designs that require sand shading. The technique goes back a long ways - I don't know when it started but probably about the same time veneer started being used in designs.

Mike

Mike Henderson
08-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Cripes!

Ever plan on teaching in Denver?

Or, short of that, suggest a good book, method, or video for the ignorant?

jbd in Denver
Assuming you already know how to work with veneer, my favorite book is "The Marquetry Course (http://www.amazon.com/Marquetry-Course-Jack-Metcalfe/dp/0713488506/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219419180&sr=8-1)" by Jack Metcalfe and John Apps. It is not for beginners in veneer, however.

Mike

Alex Shanku
08-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the reply, Mike.

When I try my hand at veneers and inlays, that will definitely be a trick I will try and incorporate!

Hank Knight
08-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Mike,

Those are really pretty. Do you use a vac bag or a press? I've done some hammer veneering - single sheet stuff, but I've never tried anything complicated. Very nice.

Hank

Mike Henderson
08-22-2008, 1:57 PM
Mike,

Those are really pretty. Do you use a vac bag or a press? I've done some hammer veneering - single sheet stuff, but I've never tried anything complicated. Very nice.

Hank
For small panels like this (about 9" by 12" before the edging) I use torsion boxes for pressing. I have a vacuum bag but only use it for big things.

I bought some cork sheets and glued them to the face of my torsion boxes. The when using torsion boxes, you need something that will cause the whole surface to be pressed. If you just used the face of the torsion box, it would not press the veneer evenly because some veneer is thicker than other veneer. So the thick veneer would get pressed well while the thin veneer might not be fastened down.

Paul Schurch recommends duck cloth but I find the cork works better.

Note that you have to put a sheet of plastic between the veneered panel and the cork (or whatever you use) to prevent the panel from getting glued to the pressing system in case any glue leaks through the veneer.

Mike

Lee DeRaud
08-22-2008, 2:37 PM
You'll need three kinds of veneer, one light, one dark and one intermediate between the two. It generally does not look good to have white (like holly) and black (like ebony or dyed black).You can get a pretty cool effect using all maple or all birch if the grain runs the long way on the trapezoids: the difference in reflectance from the three different orientations looks like three different colors...and it changes as you rotate the piece.

Mike Henderson
08-22-2008, 2:52 PM
You can get a pretty cool effect using all maple or all birch if the grain runs the long way on the trapezoids: the difference in reflectance from the three different orientations looks like three different colors...and it changes as you rotate the piece.
I agree - I just didn't discuss that.

And for those of you who don't know Lee, he has a laser set up which will do the pieces for Louis cubes and do them VERY accurately. You don't have nearly the cumulative error problems when you use extremely accurate pieces, but that takes all the fun out of it (Ha, Ha).

Mike

Lee DeRaud
08-22-2008, 4:46 PM
And for those of you who don't know Lee, he has a laser set up which will do the pieces for Louis cubes and do them VERY accurately. You don't have nearly the cumulative error problems when you use extremely accurate pieces, but that takes all the fun out of it (Ha, Ha).I don't have either the talent or the patience to do what you do, so I have to cheat. :p:cool:

And I used up my lifetime quota of "tedious" long before I retired. :eek:

Jim Tobias
08-22-2008, 9:16 PM
Mike,
That is wonderful work!! The time, accuracy and patience required to make speak as loud as the work itself. Very impressive!!

Jim

jonathan snyder
08-23-2008, 1:16 AM
WOW!! Great job Mike. Those are really spectacular. I'd love to to a higher resolution photo of the first one with the waterfall bubinga. Are you hosting those photos anywhere?

Jonathan

Mike Henderson
08-23-2008, 1:32 AM
WOW!! Great job Mike. Those are really spectacular. I'd love to to a higher resolution photo of the first one with the waterfall bubinga. Are you hosting those photos anywhere?

Jonathan
Here (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/images/veneer/Veneer-projects-7.jpg)'s a large image of it, but the picture isn't great (my camera, I suppose - lots of noise. Taken without enough light.). Let me know if that's good enough for you. If not, I'll try to get a better pix.

Thanks for your kind words.

Mike

I also have them on my web site (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/mikes_projects.htm)but they're not much larger.