PDA

View Full Version : Troy, Virginia ShopBot Camp Sept. 6th

Ed Lang
08-21-2008, 3:59 PM
Last year Keith Outten came and gave a talk on making Corian signs. I have not heard from Keith yet this year so don't know if he will be here again or not. How about it keith?

There will be light breakfast fair and BBQ and all the trimmings for lunch.

We will run a ShopBot and talk about many things all day long. ShopBot will have staff there and Centurion Tools will also be there as well as a few others.

Last year there were 40-45 folks plus the staff and hosts and we had a blast.

If you are interested, let me know so there will be enough food. If you don't know until the last moment and have not told me, still come on down, over, up or however you have to to be here.

There will be lots of information for new to CNC folks who have not bought one yet to the guy who has been running/programming a CNC for years.

Looking forward to seeing everyone that comes out September 6th, 2008.

Ed

Keith Outten
08-22-2008, 6:50 AM
Ed,

I haven't been able to respond concerning your ShopBot Camp because I have an ongoing project that is near completion and I don't know if I will be able to attend yet. For the last year Jackie and I have been working on our home, it started with replacing the siding on our 100 year old farm house by removing two layers of existing siding. We found significant damage to the sill plate and other framing so the project expanded to major repair status. We started having to jack up walls to replace the existing sill plate which was reduced to paper, it got worse from there.

I had to hire some help as the job got considerably more complex and I have had a couple friends lend a hand along the way. When we finished the house we decided to start the same process on our old barn rather than wait and lose our hired hand to another job. The condition of the barns framing was worse than the house, we have been replacing the wall framing along with the roof and rafters. We have also been changing some of the barns features, removing an existing personnel door in the front and adding another eight foot set of barn doors in the back plus a 4 foot roll up door in the upper loft.

Needless to say the barn project just kept getting bigger with no end in site...the good news is that we have at this point found the end of the tunnel and are getting close to being dried in again. I hope that tomorrow we will be able to hang the two sets of barn doors on the front of the building and the window in the upper loft. We should also be able to shingle the right side lower roof this weekend which will leave the back side doors as the only area left to do for dry-in. I will still have some interior work to do but I will at least be able to take a break when the dry-in is complete. After 12 months of working every waking hour I am in need of a break...big time.

The schedule for your camp comes at a time when I should be installing the back wall doors which is the side of the barn that is exposed to the worst weather here. If we get the dry-in complete before your camp I would love to attend, if not I will have to pass. Although I could take a day off I have others helping me on the project that are only available on the weekends, specifically the guy who is covering the trim, so I would lose a whole week in our schedule. We have been real lucky weather wise so I don't want to press my luck any further given the worst of the hurricane season is here now.

Ed Lang
08-22-2008, 11:51 AM
I sure do understand that the home project comes before fun and play!

Maybe I should have posted the camp to be held at your place and after about 45 folks worked for a few hours, we would feed them some BBQ and then start the ShopBot part!

Well if I see you and Aaron at the shop, I'll know you were able to make it. If not, I know you are working.

Be safe and keep on schedule or at least ahead of the storms.

Keith Outten
08-22-2008, 8:03 PM
Thanks Ed,

I hate to work and miss all the fun so if there is an opportunity for me to attend your ShopBot Camp I will.

Scott Shepherd
08-22-2008, 8:30 PM
I'd like to reserve Keith and Aaron's BBQ and light breakfast for myself :D

You know I wouldn't miss an opportunity to visit MVWW :) Will you be giving a WeldBond seminar? ;)

Keith Outten
08-23-2008, 6:44 AM
WAIT!!!

Don't be giving away Aaron's food just yet, he may be able to be at the Camp. I haven't asked Aaron if he is going to attend and he hasn't been working on my barn project so he might be planning to go.

:)

Ed Lang
08-25-2008, 9:57 AM
What?! Your son-in-law is not helping! How does he get away with that?

There will be PLENTY to eat, and see while here.

I'll be giving the Weldbond talk and you are my backup!

Keith Outten
08-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Ed,

We had a really productive weekend. We installed both sets of barn doors and the upper loft window on the front of the barn and the new roll up door on the rear wall of the loft area. We also got the lower right side roof shingles and new vinyl installed on the right side (LAST :))wall. I still have next weekend to install the last set of doors on the back side of the barn and replace the upper roof shingles so it looks like i may be able to may your ShopBot Camp afterall........I hope so.

You've met Aaron, did he seem to be the kind of guy that would wear a tool belt and be on a roof installing shingles? :)

Ed Lang
08-27-2008, 8:22 AM
Great! Remember we are going to be at Jays shop across Rt 250 from my shop.

There will be signs on the road.

From the Zion Crossroad (Rt 15) exit on I-64 go south on Rt 15 to the intersection of Rt 250, which is 0.2 miles. Turn Right onto Rt 250 West towards Charlottesville. Just like you would be going to my shop. Pass the right turn to my shop and you will see Cosner Brothers used auto parts on the left side of Rt 250. Then a new subdivision, then a brick house, then the sign to Alder Creek Farm and the ShopBot sign. Make a left and follow the gravel road. You will pass that new subdivision on the gravel road and when you finally come out of the woods and into the opening, you will see the shop to your right.

Aaron looks like the type to have programmed the ShopBot to install all of that and then some.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Keith Outten
09-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Ed,

There will be three of us attending your ShopBot Camp Saturday. Aaron, myself and James Jenkins. We finished the barn roof last weekend and I have the last two barn doors to install this afternoon. Good news since we have some bad weather coming our way this weekend and i will be totally dried-in.

Sorry, I don't have anything for show and tell this year or anything of interest to bring along. The house and barn renovations, SawMill Creek and Freedom Pens have had me busy full time for the last 12 months so there hasn't been a lot of time for shop projects this year.

Ed Lang
09-03-2008, 7:10 PM
Glad the barn is dried in... Just in time to "test" it out.

Looking forward to seeing all three of you at Jays shop.

ed