PDA

View Full Version : Just for views

Frank Corker
08-21-2008, 2:14 PM
I have just finished the wood plaque for a friend of mine and the other one is for my brother in laws friend in Spain. The wood is mahogany and the other is made up of 3 layers of 3mm acrylic - weighs a lot but strong.

Kim Vellore
08-21-2008, 2:18 PM
Wow that looks pretty cool esp the first one, could not think how you would do it.. nice...
Kim

Steve McKee
08-21-2008, 9:10 PM
Nice work Frank, I'm sure they'll like them very much.

Anthony Welch
08-21-2008, 10:03 PM
They both are nice pieces, but I also favor the first one. What did you paint fill with?

Tony

Frank Corker
08-22-2008, 6:26 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Tony I used black acrylic paint, I'm very fond of that stuff, mainly because it dries in two or three minutes and it is waterbased. Putting it on is easy enough, removing the excess before it dries is a little like hard work, but I think the result speaks for itself.

The top piece is white acrylic, I engraved at 45 speed with 100% power and cut at 6 speed for a good finish. That's actually a fairly heavy engraving but when you get close to it the depth is part of the attraction and finish.

David Fairfield
08-22-2008, 6:40 PM
I think that wood police plaque looks pretty classy and I like how you got a 3d appearance to outer rays of the lower badge. Did you work from a greyscale illustration, or was something fancy involved?

Dave

Frank Corker
08-22-2008, 7:17 PM
Both of these files are eps and have been digitised by myself. They are extremely detailed but I choose to shade them in different greys to get the best results. Just the crown on this particular one took me three days to get right.

Don Necaise
08-22-2008, 7:25 PM
Frank
Did you cut the acrylic to fit the plaque? If so do you mind giving a quick lesson on hoe to do that in corel or however you did it.

Thanks Don

David Fairfield
08-22-2008, 7:28 PM
That extra time on the graphics paid off!

Frank Corker
08-22-2008, 7:41 PM
The acrylic is 3 seperate pieces of acrylic. I used a badge eps shape. I then made 3 different sizes but the same shape. I engraved the white and then vectored the shape. Then I vectored the other two sizes, the red and the black. Did the colourfill on the white. Lined them all up and using capilliary action I used the liquid weldon to secure all three pieces together. Actually it's extremely simple.