PDA

View Full Version : Jointer selection

Scott Phillips
08-21-2008, 2:01 PM
Guys,

I narrowed down the jointer decision to a Grizzly G656 and was planning on using the 15% Microsoft discount to buy it. I then found out that the G656 was not offered on the discount (at least I could not find it on there). They do offer the G490 and G586 with the discount. What should I do now?

Thanks,
Scott

glenn bradley
08-21-2008, 2:13 PM
First off, welcome. I have the G0490X which is the same as the G0490 but with a spiral head. In my "search for answers" when choosing the right jointer for me this one won based on:
- current owners opinions
- parallelogram beds
- 3HP
- tall fence
- spiral head

Determine how many times you will use the jointer per week (let's say 3), multiply that by 52 weeks per year, multiply that by the number of years you plan to have the jointer (let's say 10); 3*52*10 = 1560. Divide the 15% amount by 1560; for example $180 / 1560 = 11.5 cents per use in savings. I'd just buy the jointer you want.

Scott Phillips
08-21-2008, 4:02 PM
Thanks for the reply Glenn. I guess I haven't really looked much at the G490. Can you tell me the benefit of the parrallelogram table? Is it worth $100 more?

Thanks,
Scott

glenn bradley
08-21-2008, 4:49 PM
For most home users, it would take years of wear to cause issues with the dove tail ways and there is nothing wrong with them. In the event that adjustments are required, the p-beds are reported to be easier to adjust as there are no shims to worry with.

The p-beds keep a consistent distance between table and cutter head regardless of height BUT, most folks set their jointer at 1/32" and leave it there 99% of the time. So, for most hobbyists (even serious ones) there is not a driving need for one method or the other.

Now the extra HP and the mobile base, that is worth something to me. I wouldn't really want less power. Of course my 3/4 HP bandsaw was fine until I had a 2HP one ;-) I joint in front of my wall mounted lumber rack so the built in mobile base was good for me. YMMV.

That all being said, and factoring in that there are many happy G0586 owners out there; they are both fine jointers for the price. I think you will be happy with either one. My G0490 adventure is here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=84153

Scott Phillips
08-21-2008, 5:12 PM
Thanks again,
Scott

Dave Cohen
09-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Guys,

I narrowed down the jointer decision to a Grizzly G656 and was planning on using the 15% Microsoft discount to buy it. I then found out that the G656 was not offered on the discount (at least I could not find it on there). They do offer the G490 and G586 with the discount. What should I do now?

Thanks,
Scott

Hmmphh,

I just ordered the G0490X on ebay two hours ago and then saw this post, looks like its too late to take advantage of this discount now. Bummer.

Peter Quadarella
09-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Well, if it makes you feel any better the cashback was down to 8% two weeks ago when I made the purchase.

Dave Cohen
09-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Well, if it makes you feel any better the cashback was down to 8% two weeks ago when I made the purchase.

Yeah, a bit better, still thats $82 that I don't have now, oh well...looking forward to the machine, should be great, with some possible bumps along the way.