PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic $4000 Bandsaw

Dan Lautner
08-21-2008, 12:30 PM
FWW has a video showing a $4000 18" bandsaw from Powermatic. It looks like a nice saw but I think they missed the market on price. Any thoughts on who would buy this thing?

Dan

Larry Fox
08-21-2008, 1:13 PM
Someone who has never heard of MiniMax or Laguna!

It would have to be one heck of a bs for that price.

glenn bradley
08-21-2008, 1:21 PM
Is it related to the $900 drill press most folks returned in frustration?

Scot Ferraro
08-21-2008, 7:03 PM
I just watched the video and it does not look all that impressive to me and I agree with others that there are plenty of Euro-style bandsaws that offer a better price/value. Maybe if you have to have all the same company for your equipment? The spokesperson almost seemed a little embarrassed to mention the price. Tracking the blade seems difficult too -- you have to move the entire fence assembly....I don't know, but Powermatic might need to rethink the price on this one.

Jacob Reverb
08-21-2008, 8:43 PM
Instead of "Powermatic," shouldn't thay have branded it a Festool? Then it would sell like hotcakes!

Peter Quinn
08-21-2008, 8:53 PM
For a tad more you can get a Tannewitz!

guy knight
08-21-2008, 8:56 PM
it did have a few nice features the fence looked like a winner i liked the way the table used a wheel to tilt and the detensioner was a nice touch and the 18" resaw is nice but i don't think i will trade my mm20 in for it

Peter Quinn
08-21-2008, 9:03 PM
Just watched the vid, actually looks pretty cool. It weighs close to 800#! Ita a value at $5 per pound!:rolleyes:

Rick Fisher
08-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Anyone know anything about Centauro? Im looking at a used one. The guy figures its a 20".

Supposed to be Mini Max, or Mini Max quality..

Why would anyone buy a Powermatic bandsaw for $4,000.00. I think Italian when I think $4000 bandsaw.

Maybe its Italian?

Jim Becker
08-22-2008, 9:26 AM
Rick, all but one of the MiniMax saws is made by Centauro and the Centaruo machines are top-notch. (They have been sold as Centauro machines "out there", too, so it's not surprising that name is on the machine in question. I know some folks in Canada have mentioned them) If the one you are looking at is a 20" machine, it should be comparable to the MM20, although it may have less re-saw height, depending on its age. MM bumped up the resaw height on the machines they offer a few years ago to be equal to the wheel size on many of the smaller (16-20") machines.

Frank Drew
08-22-2008, 10:29 AM
For a tad more you can get a Tannewitz!

My first thought, too. And for $4,000 I'd expect something larger than an 18" machine (like maybe a relatively recent vintage Tannewitz E-24 :D.)

Of course, it's possible that Powermatic actually is producing a $4,000 bandsaw (not just a bandsaw priced at $4,000), but it would have to be an awfully good machine; it's not like anyone willing to spend that kind of money wouldn't be aware of the alternatives. Does this machine have a cast iron frame, or welded steel?

Mike Shields
08-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Instead of "Powermatic," shouldn't thay have branded it a Festool? Then it would sell like hotcakes!

Yes, but in that case, it would be a well engineered and constructed tool that works better than the majority of it's competitors. And the owners would all praise it's capabilities, and say it was money well spent.

But then, it would only be purchased by those who demand that tools perform, and not just buy it because of the name printed on the side!