PDA

View Full Version : How to make figure pop with natural look? W/Pic of figured Maple to be finished.

Bill Wyko
08-21-2008, 1:04 AM
I have some beautiful figured Maple and I want to make the grain pop w/o really changing the color. I'll finish it with Tung oil in the end and probably a few coats of Minwax. In this picture, I recently sprayed it with veneer softener to vacuum it flat. Anyone have A suggestion?
http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4238.0;attach=1095 8;image (http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4238.0;attach=1095 9;image)

Steve Schoene
08-21-2008, 8:36 AM
I can't see the picture, but...
In general, to "pop" the figure one coat of BLO does the most affective job. But be aware that anything that pops the figure will also give the wood a more amber color.

I do have some more questions about your proposed finishing schedule. When you say Tung Oil, do you mean pure or 100% tung oil (those words) or do you mean tung oil finish, as sold by Formby's, or by other companies.

After the tung oil you propose "Minwax". Which Minwax product do you have in mind?

glenn bradley
08-21-2008, 8:53 AM
I have some beautiful figured Maple and I want to make the grain pop w/o really changing the color.

Changing the color of the different densities in the wood is what accents the grain. I think you're saying you don't want an extreme color change but, there will be some with any method I am familiar with.

You will either use a darkening agent to make the softer material darker than the rest (and therefor 'pop') or use a lighter (often yellow) colorant to accent the differences before a 'not-so' darker (than yellow) color is applied.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesPDF.aspx?id=2577

Jim Becker
08-21-2008, 8:56 AM
The oil may be just right for the "pop". BLO is commonly use, but pure tung oil will give a slightly lighter color. The downside to the tung is that it takes a very long time to cure and you must let it cure before continuing with your finish regimen. BLO can be coated with shellac same day if need be, or the following day or two if you prefer. Not so with tung.

Steve's questions about your intended finishing products are quite valid...important to know to better advise you.

Mike McCann
08-21-2008, 9:05 AM
thewoodwhisperer has a good podcast on poping the grain on maple. It is show #32.

Bill Wyko
08-21-2008, 1:50 PM
Thanks guys. The Tung oil I use is by Minwax. It's 45% tung oil and the rest is cobalt2 & ethyl hexanoate acid. At least that's what they say at minwax.:rolleyes:

Steve Schoene
08-21-2008, 4:28 PM
I don't know who you talked to a Minwax, but they appear quite confused. The MSDS for Minwax Tung Oil Finish indicates that it contains 71% by volume of mineral spirits (65% by weight) The cobalt ethylhexoate is a metallic drier that is encorporated into some unmentioned varnish component of the mix the varnish is mixed with oil, which may or may not include tung oil. The total amount of the cobalt compound represents only 0.2% of the weight. But in any event the product has to have a volume that is less than 29% oil and varnish combined.

Frankly, I see no claim in the product literature on the Minwax web pages that there is any tung oil at all in the product. The product name is Tung Oil Finish, where the operative word is "finish", with "tung oil" merely suggesting an appearance that would be achieved.

If you use an oil as a first step, and plan a varnish as a top coat, there is absolutely no reason to use an oil/varnish mix in between. The effect of the oil and the effect of the oil/varnish mix would be quite similar--I doubt you would tell the difference.

I'd recommend a top coat made from a good quality varnish such as Pratt & Lambert 38, or McCloskey Heirloom (if still available) or Cabot Varnish (not the Cabot polyurethane.) These varnishes are all alkyd varnish made using soya oil as the oil ingredient. This makes it a very light colored varnish, compared to varnishes made with linseed oil (which would include about every consumer polyurethane varnish) or tung oil. If you want to apply the varnish by the wiping method, you can simply thin any of these brush on varnishes with mineral spirits.