PDA

View Full Version : small bowl, wood id help

Maria Alvarado
08-21-2008, 12:30 AM
This was turned green from a branch rescued from yard trimmings. Had a very "medicinal" smell when I turned it, not mothball, maybe listerine-ish. For a bit I thought it might be sweet gum, but the color patterns are different as is the bark. Excuse the crummy photos.
95157 Branch piece, sorry it's so fuzzy
95158 95159 95160

3 views of the bowl. 3 inches across, 1.5 deep, walnut oil/beeswax. Not yet buffed. Turned in one session a couple of weeks ago. Has not moved at all.

Gary Max
08-21-2008, 5:52 AM
Looks like Camphor---

Steve Schlumpf
08-21-2008, 7:11 AM
Maria - no idea when it comes to the wood but it sure has some nice looking grain! Great looking little bowl! Really like the form and the thin walls work well on bowl this size!

Rick Mills
08-21-2008, 7:35 AM
When turning camphor the smell is awesome it will clear your sinuses, it smells like menthol, (Vicks vapo rub). I love turning it, and that wood looks similar to the few I have turned.

Maria Alvarado
08-21-2008, 8:31 AM
Camphor crossed my mind, but there is no hint of a smell in the finished bowl, nor in the dried cut-off (in which I now notice faint spalting lines). I cut another piece from the branch and there was a very faint scent on the fresh-cut end, but not the dried end. Definitely not a mothball type smell, I just can't place it. Maybe I should take a piece to an arborist. Anyway, the colors were pretty nice. Hopefully I'll get a couple nice bowls out of it.
Thanks Steve for the compliment. It's actually faintly translucent at the top. I decided not to risk it on the rest.

robert hainstock
08-21-2008, 9:05 AM
Maria, you do some realy nice form design. This piece fits that mold. I imagine that the oder would come from the liquid in the wood which will dry up quickly in simething that thin. Anyway, very nice piece. :D:D
Bob

Cyril Griesbach
08-21-2008, 9:35 AM
My first thought was Camphor as well but as I look at the photos of the bowl (very nice) and the wood I want to lean toward Carrot Wood, Cupaniopsis anacardioides. I see your in Georgia so I guess it's possible if it came from near the Florida border.

Carrot Wood was brought from Australia, I believe, and is now considered an invasive species in Florida as it tends to choke out the native Mangrove. Some friends in Florida brought me several pieces of Carrot Wood some years ago and your log and bowl look very similar. The Carrot Wood I got, however, did not have any particular scent.

Bob Hallowell
08-21-2008, 1:37 PM
I am not sure what it is but it looks nice, very thin walls and very nice form

Bob

Leo Van Der Loo
08-21-2008, 4:05 PM
Hi Maria, very nice form to your bowl and beautiful wood :D.
When I looked at the stump picture (no they are not very good) the thought crossed my mind that it could be a Prunus species, (that would include sweet Cherry Plum Peach Apricot and all those hybrid crosses) it was both the bark and wood color that triggered the thought, but there are more different species growing in your area that I'm not familiar with, though the medicine smell is sometimes present with the above mentioned, seems to come from the cambium layer and disappears when dry.
But whatever the wood, you certainly did a bang-up job with it, love it.
Thank for showing :)

Maria Alvarado
08-21-2008, 6:01 PM
Here is a better look at the bark.
Leo, I did think when I picked it up that it was a nut or fruit limb. They certainly grow like weeds around here. Hard to tell from all the lichen on it. Cyril, I've never heard of carrotwood. Looked it up and I see that the wood is similar, but I don't think the bark is. It's hard to tell sometimes though, as I've noticed some limb bark can differ a bit from the trunk.
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I guess for now it's Freewoodicus dunnowhatensis.

Dick Strauss
08-22-2008, 2:09 AM
The bark looks like the peach tree I used to have before we cut it down. IIRC it did have a distinct odor when cut. Georgia is a peach haven...maybe????

Cyril Griesbach
08-22-2008, 8:39 AM
Maria, I see from you second photo of the wood that it most likely is not Carrot Wood as the Carrot Wood bark is much smoother.

Cyril