PDA

View Full Version : Lenox BS blade tension

Robert Ducharme
05-03-2004, 4:40 PM
Does anyone know the tension amount for a Lenox 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4" blade (carbon steel) that will be used for resawing (hardwoods)? A reference to an internet site is also acceptable. I already tried the Lenox site.

Michael Perata
05-03-2004, 4:54 PM
Try to get at least 15K PSI. If you have a good European BS go to about 25K PSI.

I am able to get a 1" blade to about 30K PSI on my MiniMax and it makes a big difference.

Jim Becker
05-03-2004, 5:08 PM
I'm with Michael on this...I crank 'em up on the MM. I recently bought the Iturra guage and it's an eye-opener. The "tension guage" on most band saws really isn't anywhere close to reality. The 1/2" blade I have on the tool right now doesn't get to 25k PSI until it's way above the listing for 1.25" blades on the saw! But the machine sure cuts better when the tension is dialed in...

Robert Ducharme
05-03-2004, 6:22 PM
I have the 24" Agazzani and the Iturra guage. I can crank it up but I am looking at what to crank it up to. I do not want to bottom out the tension spring because that is supposed to be a no-no.

Stan Smith
05-03-2004, 6:24 PM
Hey, Jim.

I have the MM16 and am running a lennox 1/2" carb. tipped. I also bought the Iturra gauge. I wasn't sure how much tension to put on, but I see that there is a cursor at the 30k mark. I'm not sure how good I'm doing adjusting the gauge but I've tried running it at 27.6k. I'm not getting anywhere near as smooth a cut at that setting as I am with my woodslicer blade set at a lower tension so now I'm confused. Any advice? Thanks.

Stan

Michael Perata
05-03-2004, 6:24 PM
25 - 30K PSI should not be a problem on your excellent saw.

Steven Wilson
05-03-2004, 9:25 PM
20-25K psi. On the smaller blades you'll reach this tension with less turns of the tension crank. BTW, I usually tension Timberwolf blades between 6-9K psi (as per Suffolk and verified with the flutter test).

Stan Smith
05-04-2004, 3:58 PM
Thanks, guys. I had to resaw some more alder today and the current settings worked out just fine. I had the problem with some tough walnut. The blade marks came out of the alder with a couple of passes through the performax using 220 grit. Certainly no complaints about that. I guess I have a setup this is now working quite well.

Stan