PDA

View Full Version : Talk about "over the top" shops!

Dewey Torres
08-20-2008, 9:15 PM
Those of you who may follow the wood whisperer and SMC member Mark Spagnolo, take a look at the "shop of the week". I will tell you it must be nice to live this good.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/garrys-recycled-hardwood-shop-of-the-week/

So where do you get hard wood scraps like this?

David G Baker
08-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Looks like the shop is in the Tropics due to the plant life surrounding the building.

John Keeton
08-21-2008, 5:59 AM
He responded to the posts stating it was in Costa Rica. Bet he lusts after walnut, curly maple, and QSWO!! The pasture always seems greener on the other side.

Jim Becker
08-21-2008, 9:10 AM
So the guy's shop serves double duty...it's a place to work and also his catalog of species choices for projects... LOL

John, you're right...some of what "we" consider exotics are run-of-the-mill local lumber in other places and our local and highly available hardwoods are like "gold" to them.

Al Navas
08-21-2008, 7:44 PM
In the end, it is possible that, not only in woodworking, but so many other things in life are relative - including wealth, health, age... :D At MY age, I can say that ;) . In many parts of the world it is almost impossible to get most of our hardwoods; yet, even pallets can be found made of teak, mahogany, etc.

mike holden
08-21-2008, 8:06 PM
Yes, it IS all relative.
We went on vacation in Costa Rica a few years ago. We signed up for a volcanic mud bath, where we went up the side of a volcano, soaked in a natural steam room, then coated ourselves with volcanic mud, waited for it to dry, then rinsed off, followed by a soak in a series of volcanically heated pools. Nice yes, but here is the kicker - the decking, several thousand board feet of it, was all rosewood! It was from trees cut down to make space for the spa, so that is what they used.
Mike