PDA

View Full Version : Laser Manufatucturers and users

David Dustin
08-20-2008, 7:34 PM
Greetings all.
My wife and just got back from the IWF in Atlanta.
The show is huge.
Our purpose was to find laser manufacturers and Kick the tires.

Please note that I am not trying to pit user against user, just trying to get some opionins from ya'll to help with the desicion.

Each manufacturer said they were better than the others and prices were all over the board.

Each regional vendor (Southeast) said they would "be there for me".

Vendors visited include (not listed in order of importance):
Epilog
Universal Laser
Xenetech
Trotec
Jamieson

We have ruled out Jamieson as they are a chinese manufacturer. No offense, we just don't want to send our money to china if we can avoid it.

The remaining vendors all did a great job of presenting their products.
Is it in bad taste to get recomendations from ya'll as to what you think of the remaining vendors as far as Value, Service and reliability?

Thanks in advance for any advice or recomendations you can offer.

David
(oh yeah, here is a link to our site, we made an animation of a laser beam, although it is more like a YAG beam www.laser-engrave-it.com (http://www.laser-engrave-it.com), my other company creates animations).

Joe Pelonio
08-20-2008, 8:09 PM
I think I'll leave this to those that have or have used more than one brand.

David Dustin
08-20-2008, 8:11 PM
Joe,
Have you been happy with your Epilog?
Loyalty to one brand is a good thing I think.
If it isn't broke, don't fix it..

David

Joe Pelonio
08-20-2008, 8:46 PM
I have been happy overall, especially with their service, but I have had some mechanical issues that are in older threads here. On my 3rd tube and 3rd x-axis motor.

Just today I was thinking how important the red dot pointer is. A customer forgot to call me prior to printing the graphics on ply film and applying to acrylic for 200+ apartment number signs (below)

I had to use the pointer to align using the outline of the underlines (under the numbers) then when all 12 were perfect go ahead and cut the shapes out.

Other than that later Epilog versions have the integrated vacuum table which would be very helpful.

I just can't compare it to anything since the only other laser I have used is an associate's Epilog Legend 32 100 watt dual head.

will bohn
08-20-2008, 8:48 PM
David,

I have 5 lasers from 40 watt to 2200 watts.
The 40 watt laser is an older 1992 model Universal Lasers. I can say Universal Laser went above and beyond with the tech support to get me up and running with that laser.

They dug out the windows 98 driver and user manual for me at no cost. This laser was bought used by me approx 3 moths ago and they still helped.

So I can say without a doubt Universal Laser's tech support is second to noe. And the machine is running great. That says alot about thier systems.

My 2200 watt system that cost much more did not come with the tech support I got from Universal Laser.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike Null
08-20-2008, 9:18 PM
I suggest you do a search of each brand and that will turn up page upon page of comments about all brands.

Keith Outten
08-20-2008, 9:34 PM
David,

I second Mike Null's suggestion, do a search in this Forum as there is a lot of very good information here. I will save you the trouble concerning Xenetech, we have been waiting for almost two years for them to fix their buggy print driver and it looks like it will never happen. Xenetech also just implemented a pay for tech support system when your warrenty expires, I don't know any other manufacturer that has adopted tech support fees except Xenetech.

You will find lots of satisfied Universal, Epilog and Trotech owners here.

Larry Bratton
08-20-2008, 9:53 PM
David:
Read my post of today on Scott Shepard's post "My New Baby".

David Fairfield
08-20-2008, 9:58 PM
Like Joe says, I can't make an adequate comparison because I've only used one brand. Further, if actually did switch brands, and had to relearn the way I interface with the machine, and adjust my old way of working to the new machine's performance envelopes, I'd probably be very annoyed with the other brand.

In any case, I'm also very satisifed with the Epliog, very versatile machine for the precision miniature work I do. Works with Adobe, that's very important for me. Had it three years (the original tube is going strong) and still learning all the things its capable of. Currently experimenting with a way to get 45 degree miters out of the 3-d feature :cool:

Dave

Stephen Beckham
08-21-2008, 10:42 AM
David,

As asked - I'd go along with the other comments of single machine owners don't really have anything to compare it to. I'm an Epilog owner. If I had problems with it - I'd tell you that they are terrible - but as it happens to be, with my experience of one machine - it's the best thing since sliced bread!

The missing factor in your post is your desires and usage expectations. If you were to tell us that you're going to be doing craft fairs and travelling a lot with your laser (and you already mentioned no Chinese) you could be pointed to two of the small desktop models that would easily move.

If you're going to be cutting 1" wood or 1" acrylic - that limits you to which machines will take that high of wattage.

If you're needing to etch full size marble countertops (extreme of course) you'd then be limited again.

Going back to Joe's comment about the red light - I always thought of it as un-neccesary extra that is automatic on some machines. Well, mine burnt out! Holy crap.:eek:.:eek:. I was freaking out with alignments until the replacement came in - the next day! It was a long day in the store...

BTW - I went to your web page and it wouldn't load properly. I get a 'buffering... (10%)' and it never changes.... Could be my AT&T wireless 'I found the internet' connection... Still trying to figure out what 3G does for me - but I've got plenty of time to ponder it while waiting for pages to load...

David Dustin
08-21-2008, 3:27 PM
Stephen,
We are planning on being able to lase many different products.
Mainly because we are not sure what products are going to sell.

Sorry about you not being able to load the site.
Are you doing it on a moble device? I have not tested it on that.

All of the comments related to the service and other issues have helped tremendously in deciding on a vendor. We are planning on returning to the IWF show on friday to finalize the decision, and hopefully purchase a machine (possibly 2).

BTW, if you like the animations there are plenty more on my other site (www.dustinproductions.com (http://www.dustinproductions.com)). My other business is (my wife is going to run the laser engraving business) creating animtions for the legal community. There are a lot of examples of vehicle crashes and even some real-time downloads.

Best regards,
David

Gary Hair
08-21-2008, 3:52 PM
David,
No matter the brand, model, power, etc., you will find someone who has had a bad experience and will never buy "that" laser brand again. You will also find people who are very happy with their laser but won't buy from a particular reseller again.

On the flip side, you will find lots of people that have nothing but praise for both the machine and reseller, the same one that the other person hates.

Bottom line?

1. Have a clear picture of what you want/need from your laser.

2. Talk to the resellers and ask them to tell you why you should buy from them - not why you shouldn't buy from someone else.

3. Bring a sample file that is representative of something you would like to do with your laser and have them run your file on your substrate.

When you feel you have satisfied all three of those points, buy your laser.

Gary

P.S. My laser is a GCC/Pinnacle Explorer ZX and I wouldn't trade it for anything else unless it had a larger bed, mine is 38x20, and around 75 watts, mine is 30.

David Fairfield
08-21-2008, 5:33 PM
Gary's #3 is very important. The samples the company gives you are all optimized to make their machine shine. Nothing wrong with that, but the machine you buy has gotta shine on the day-to-day work you're planning to feed it.

I'd add a #4, and that's your impression of the company's human interface. If you have to call for service or help, you'll want reliable, efficient people.

Dave

David Dustin
08-22-2008, 9:03 PM
I went back to the show this morning (Friday) and purchased the machine I wanted from Universal.

We got it with the rotary fixture, High density optics, air assist and the vector table, in a 60 watt configuration.

While it is not the most powerfull unit out there, we wanted to be able to at least try creating a wide variety of products.

I realize there is sensitivity towards those starting new engraving businesses, so hopefully we will do it right and hold high standards of quality while maintaining good price points..
Thanks to all of you for advice, it was very valuable!

David

Scott Shepherd
08-22-2008, 9:07 PM
WOW! Darn nice purchase there David! 60 Watts, High Density Optics. Nice, nice setup. You'll really enjoy that machine. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Please let us know when you get it.

Best of luck-

David Dustin
08-22-2008, 9:22 PM
Thanks,
We are expecting delivery in 2 weeks.
After we had signed everything, I showed the guys my other animations on my IPOD. Like all good GWA'a (geek with attitude) i carry my IPOD with me just in case....

I might need to redo the laser animation as it really does look like a YAG. Of course John Q. Public would never know the difference. (www.laser-engrave-it.com (http://www.laser-engrave-it.com)). Cutting material away with a CO2 would be a tough animation to make.....

David

Keith Outten
08-23-2008, 6:41 AM
Good choice David, good luck with your new machine.

Frank Corker
08-23-2008, 7:46 AM
You are right, general public won't know the difference, besides the animations are excellent.

David Dustin
08-23-2008, 9:14 AM
You are right, general public won't know the difference, besides the animations are excellent.
Thanks, We really like doing them.

David

Lisa Dupuy
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
David,

I am a partner in a 30 year old awards and engraving business. We currently own three lasers and three rotary systems. A couple of years ago we moved to Xenetech lasers from Epilog lasers and while I would not say anything bad about Epilog, we've been extremely happy with the move. They are faster (from layout to finished product) and our productivity has increased significantly. We output from Corel Draw and we use Xenetech software. We do a good volume and these machines are work-horses and I also know that our biggest competitor uses Xenetech. We also supply products to the awards industry and I know from talking with customers there are many happy Xenetech owners like us out there. I would say we've called them maybe once or twice in the past year for help.

So, I would definitely include Xenetech in your search. I hope this helps,

Lisa
Gold Star Awards

Keith Outten
08-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Lisa,

Welcome to The Creek. I'm glad you are happy with your Xenetech, looks like you have the only vote for them here. Great hardware but the worst print driver I have ever seen...and they can't fix it :)

Mike Compton
08-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Whew.... I almost got confused again.. I have been researching lasers, (YAG and CO2) for months. I can't drop the hammer on a purchase because I am AFFRAID! I am scared that right after I plunk down my hard earned cash, I will then want to curl up in a fetal position and cry because I neglected to consider something or some other manufacture or even another product all together. I am pointed in the direction of EPILOG ... I am thinking Helix 24 60Watt.. Maybe 75 but I don't think I need that much juice.. I like the Fiber Laser 30watt, but that price tag is hard to justify.

Anyway, hello to all from a sawmill NOOB. I just don't want to turn into a sawmill BOOB by making the wrong choice.. And yes, I think I have read EVERY post on here.. ouch.. my brain still hurts from doing so...

Great bunch of people here, thanks for letting me run around the site..

MC:D

David Dustin
08-25-2008, 1:54 PM
Mike,
Yeah that fear is a good thing. It's a normal reaction. We just ordered our CO2 and expect it soon. We had also considered YAG, Diode Pumped and Fiber lasers. All my industrial experience is with flash lamp YAG's.

If I need to buy another machine it will more than likey be a Fiber Laser based on what I have found, Fiber is about as error free as you can get.
Welcome,
David

David Fairfield
08-25-2008, 4:18 PM
Mike

Been there myself. But if you go with a made in USA laser from any one of the three or so manufacturers that get recommended here over and over, I don't see how you can go wrong.

Everyone swears by the machine they own, and I'm sure they love their machines as much as I love my Epi. I think its basically a case of just becoming used to your system and getting the most out of it as you gain experience.

Dave

Whew.... I almost got confused again.. I have been researching lasers, (YAG and CO2) for months. I can't drop the hammer on a purchase because I am AFFRAID! I am scared that right after I plunk down my hard earned cash, I will then want to curl up in a fetal position and cry because I neglected to consider something or some other manufacture or even another product all together. I am pointed in the direction of EPILOG ... I am thinking Helix 24 60Watt.. Maybe 75 but I don't think I need that much juice.. I like the Fiber Laser 30watt, but that price tag is hard to justify.

Anyway, hello to all from a sawmill NOOB. I just don't want to turn into a sawmill BOOB by making the wrong choice.. And yes, I think I have read EVERY post on here.. ouch.. my brain still hurts from doing so...

Great bunch of people here, thanks for letting me run around the site..

MC:D

Charlie Bice
08-26-2008, 9:50 AM
I can't compare others as we have had only the two Epilogs. A fellow mfg swears by Universal. But, we both do cutting not engraving, and, we do a lot of work from CAD. Different world.

I agree with the listing of items to look for when shopping. One of the things that moved us to Epilog was the customer service and fast responses to questions by the dealer (the Brewer's).

charlie

David Fairfield
08-26-2008, 10:58 AM
I can second that Charlie. The Epilog rep made an appointment and came here to demo a machine for me with my sample materials and files. Very helpful and patient salesguy, not a hard-sell. The other guys were no-shows, one returned my calls a month late, after I'd already signed the contract.

Now it could be luck of the draw or it could be a trend, I don't know and I won't hazard a guess. However, I do recommend asking for hands-on demos with your own materials and files. Its a very efficient way to experience machine capability and service, they do the leg work for you, and you can see exactly what you're getting. If you know the machine does what you need, you'll be free of doubts in that direction.

Dave

David Dustin
08-26-2008, 7:10 PM
One of the things that made me lean toward Epilog initially was how well they had done their web site.

It was very well laid out and had a lot of educational material on it.

Ultimately I made a different choice but I did take the opportunity to commend the Epilog rep on the job they had done.

David