PDA

View Full Version : Centermount Drawer Glide

Dan Stuewe
05-03-2004, 4:33 PM
My daughter's kindergarten teacher asked if I could repair a dresser she has in the classroom. They use the dresser for a variety of things (nothing too heavy) but the kids are allowed to take things out from it. I've only taken a 2-minute look at it, but basically the drawers have a center mount wooden rail and guide, they both have worn out significantly so the drawers don't slide easily. Worse is that there is no stop so the drawers can come all the way out. I'm thinking to make this as quick and easy as possible I would just pick up a few center-mount ball-bearing glides and install them. Does this sound like a good solution? Do these glides work well in a re-furb type of situation? I know it isn't the cheapest solution, but I don't have much time anyway, so machining my own glides and stops is pretty much out of the question.

Thanks for any advice,

Todd Burch
05-03-2004, 6:06 PM
Dan, I think you would be fortunate if the replacement slides were a ready-fit for the drawer box. You're quickest fix might be to glue on new pieces to whatever is left of the existing pieces. Got a picture?

Dan Stuewe
05-03-2004, 8:20 PM
I hadn't thought of the size being an issue, but that is a good point. I ussually drop my daughter off, so there is a gaggle of 5 year olds when I'm in the classroom, but maybe i'll try to bring the camera in tomorrow.

Jim DeLaney
05-03-2004, 9:36 PM
...basically the drawers have a center mount wooden rail and guide, they both have worn out significantly so the drawers don't slide easily. Worse is that there is no stop so the drawers can come all the way out.

My local Home Depot has the replacement wood center-mount rails and plastic guides for about three bucks. Might be the quickest and easiest way out...

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-04-2004, 1:53 PM
Dan
Fasten a block of wood to each side, of the inside, rear, drawer - sticking up - to stop the drawer from coming all the way out.
Any good?
Daniel :confused: