PDA

View Full Version : Need repair help/advice

Donna Ashby
08-20-2008, 5:04 PM
We own and are refinishing an old 1930's vacuum tube console radio. The veneer on the top of the radio was a total loss so we removed it. Starting a few months after we did this the top began to curl upward, popping off the back side of the radio. The only portion of the top that remains fastened is about 5 inches in depth across the front. The width of the top is about 27 in. and about 17 inches in depth and it is a light colored wood, maybe poplar (2-3 inch boards glued up longways). I was surprised it even curled, and it curled alot, at the very back it is 3-5 inches proud of the case. It changes a little from winter to summer, but never gets closer than 3 inches off the case.

Now to my question. If we dampen it down, it will flatten out and stay that way for maybe a day or two. Is it possible to screw it down and veneer it during this time (capturing the extra moisture) and have it be sound and not curl back up and ruin the new veneer? Or should we cut the curled part off and replace it with baltic birch plywood (which we have already bought). The front of the radio has some decorative curves and is still fastened very well so we thought we'd only remove the part that is a problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me, I appreciate it.

Joe Pelonio
08-20-2008, 6:18 PM
A picture would help. Is the top rounded toward the back, as if maybe it was bent and now trying to straighten itself out? The problem with screws is that unless you put a lot of them it may still try to curl up between them and end up wavy.

We have one of those radios still in good shape, a victrola that needs restoration, and two of the pedal type sewing machines, all future projects.
On our radio, if it did that, it does look like it would be easier to just put on new plywood and veneer.