PDA

View Full Version : 3520b question

Ron Ainge
08-20-2008, 4:29 PM
I have on occasion left the power on to my new lathe when I turn it off at night and when I go to use it the next day, it will not start. I shut off the power to the lathe and then wait a minute and turn it on again and the lathe will start up again. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or if I may be looking at future problems. Does any of you other mustard monster owner have a similar problem???

Larry Marley
08-20-2008, 5:53 PM
Hi Ron.
I am not sure if this is what you are doing but...

when you first apply power to the lathe, like plugging it in, the drive takes about 10 seconds to become ready. You will hear a click when it is.
If you try to turn in on before this, nothing will happen.

Larry

Reed Gray
08-20-2008, 7:26 PM
Ron,
By leaving the power on, are you turning the speed control down to zero, and then not turning the power off? I will admit to having done this a number of times with my old A model, but it never effected it in any way that I could tell. If by leaving the power on, you mean leaving it plugged in, but turned off, I never had any start up issues. If you unplug it, then plug it back in, in the morning, it will take a bit for it to get going.
robo hippy

Rasmus Petersen
08-21-2008, 12:19 AM
i have tha 3520B and i kill all the power to the shop ( for all the machines) with the HPFI button when i leave it. that means the i have to wait the 10-15 seconds when i start up, but also have to push/pull the power on the lathe every time. I woudent worry.......

Steve Trauthwein
08-21-2008, 7:11 AM
If I read your message correctly you are turning your lathe off but leaving it plugged in and the dc controller is still on. I do this all of the time and have never had a start up issue with my lathe. I would be concerned if this were happening consistently. Try the reset on your dc controller before you start the lathe the next time this happens.

Regards, Steve

Ron Ainge
08-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks to those of you who replyed I appreciate the help. To clear up my question, when I leave the lathe I shut the power off to the lathe motor but I do not kill the power to the lathe. I leave the speed control where it was when I fininshed that day. When I try to start turning the next morning and pull the switch to send current to the motor it will not start. I do have a in line breaker that I try to remember to shut off every night but I some time forget to do that. When I shut off the inline breaker at night and then go back to the lathe the next morning and reset the breaker to the on position the lathe starts up right away. I hope this clears things up a bit.