PDA

View Full Version : New Unisaw

Greg Hines, MD
08-20-2008, 2:24 PM
Has anyone checked out the video on the Fine Woodworking website, shoing the new Delta Unisaw? I have always liked the Unisaw, but this sure makes things look a lot better. I particularly like the adjustment wheels up front, where they belong.

Doc

http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=fw-editorsblog

Mark Rios
08-20-2008, 4:36 PM
I noticed that they didn't mention anything about the fence nor about any new features about the table other than the table being longer front to back. New materials? Extra flat flatness? :D New and improved Bies fence with automatic distance setting where you just have to say the measurement and the fence adjusts itself? :D

Clifford Mescher
08-20-2008, 4:50 PM
Now we can buy Made in USA table saw. Help support American jobs. Here is a video.http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=fw-editorsblog (http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=fw-editorsblog) Clifford

jerry nazard
08-20-2008, 5:42 PM
I noticed that they didn't mention anything about the fence nor about any new features about the table other than the table being longer front to back. New materials? Extra flat flatness? :D New and improved Bies fence with automatic distance setting where you just have to say the measurement and the fence adjusts itself? :D

Actually all three models come with a Bies fence. No Unifence.

Doug Shepard
08-20-2008, 6:33 PM
Interesting looking saw. It will be interestng to see how the price compares to the PM2000 which seems to be about it's closest (current) competition. The dust collection sounds like a big improvement. No mention of integral casters like the PM. I'm not sure how much advantage the front mounted tilt wheel is but the scale reading looks like a big improvement. I wonder about the one-piece arbor washer/nut though. Did they make the arbor long enough that you can still use it with a full dado stack or do you get a 2nd slimmer nut for dado use? I like the switch. Looks like you could do a knee bump to shut it off.

Peter Quinn
08-20-2008, 6:49 PM
Delta lost me as a customer when they declared my 15 year old shaper obsolete last year. In my eyes they are now a joke as a consideration for tool purchases. If they are unwilling or unable to support machines built to last a life time, then I am unwilling and unable to buy such machines from them.

I love the shaper, but as I start to look for a second machine to add in the next few years i won't even consider them as a choice. They operate their business their way, i operate mine my way. I don't like their way.

I do respect and appreciate their intention to make a major tool in the USA, but I would be interested to know if some one close to the situation can answer is the machine actual made completely in the USA, or is it assembled here from foreign parts and castings so the marketing folks can put a big flag on it? Its the difference between employing well paid skilled labor and employing assembly folks to screw on a few bolts. This is not meant as an accusation but a serious inquiry as the origin of goods seems to have become diluted and obfuscated in recent years.

Clifford Mescher
08-20-2008, 6:57 PM
Delta lost me as a customer when they declared my 15 year old shaper obsolete last year. In my eyes they are now a joke as a consideration for tool purchases. If they are unwilling or unable to support machines built to last a life time, then I am unwilling and unable to buy such machines from them.

I love the shaper, but as I start to look for a second machine to add in the next few years i won't even consider them as a choice. They operate their business their way, i operate mine my way. I don't like their way.

I do respect and appreciate their intention to make a major tool in the USA, but I would be interested to know if some one close to the situation can answer is the machine actual made completely in the USA, or is it assembled here from foreign parts and castings so the marketing folks can put a big flag on it? Its the difference between employing well paid skilled labor and employing assembly folks to screw on a few bolts. This is not meant as an accusation but a serious inquiry as the origin of goods seems to have become diluted and obfuscated in recent years.
I read that it is manufactured and assembled in their Tenn. plant.Clifford

Mark Carlson
08-20-2008, 6:58 PM
It looks like Delta made some good dust collection improvements. I couldn't tell if the blade guard had a dust port. I also hope they made the base cabinet port larger than 4 inches.

~mark

Peter Quinn
08-20-2008, 8:50 PM
I read that it is manufactured and assembled in their Tenn. plant.Clifford

I heard a radio piece this evening regarding the mass number of factories being closed around Beijing to promote cleaner air before and during the Olympics. It seems many of the factories were on the verge of closing in any event due to rising material costs causing them to sell at a loss to move products and meat contracts. Much of the work there involves steel and iron production.

I wonder if a point is coming where it will make sense for manufacturers to produce wood working machines in the USA again, or at least produce their flag ship lines here?

Simon Dupay
08-20-2008, 9:34 PM

To be called "Made in the USA" it must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S
The saw looks very nice with lots of good ideas and features and all made in the US!!! I'm surprised by B&D with this saw though I was hoping they would have gone more for retro uni look.

Dave Lehnert
08-20-2008, 9:59 PM
Have some interesting features. Would need to look at one up close but after first look. I think I like the PM2000 better.

Have you read the comments on the Fine woodworking link. Looks like the Sawstop owners are fearing they made the wrong choice. LOL!!!!!!

Doug Shepard
08-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Has anyone heard where in TN they'll be made? The first thing that popped into my head was that since PM seems to phasing out US manufacturing of their tablesaws I wondered if Delta is possibly picking up PM's workforce.

John Thompson
08-20-2008, 10:14 PM
The saw has built on casters as you would expect to meet the PM 2000. I looked at that saw on Monday. I will double check tomorrow but I think the dust chute was standard 4". The wheels are in front and they look nice.. but I will get a close up of the guts tomorrow.

I highly expect that putting both in front means that some kind of link to change direction had to be made? If so.. I don't necessarily condsider that wise but I hope to get a good look under the hood tomorrow. Sorry I couldn't see it closer but Delta has kept in under wraps. I took a look at it on Monday when they went to lunch... :)

Sarge..

Kevin Groenke
08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
H
Have you read the comments on the Fine woodworking link. Looks like the Sawstop owners are fearing they made the wrong choice. LOL!!!!!!

It seems to me (an early SS adopter though not owner) more like SS owners wouldn't have minded having had more than one choice. Of course B&D/Delta had the chance to be true innovators but decided that significantly reducing the inherent risk of using their tablesaws wasn't their thing.

I am personally glad that Delta didn't license SS when they had the chance because I doubt they would have imbued it with the quality, engineering and support that SS has. I personally look forward to comparing the new Unisaw to the SS. I will be very surprised if I find myself shopping for a Unisaw afterwards.

I am amused by the Luddites on the FWW blog and elsewhere who continue to spread misinformation about the SS and/or generally disregard the innovation.

-kg

Russell Tribby
08-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Has anyone heard where in TN they'll be made? The first thing that popped into my head was that since PM seems to phasing out US manufacturing of their tablesaws I wondered if Delta is possibly picking up PM's workforce.

I haven't looked into this Doug but the last time I was in TN to see my grandparents the plant was still in Jackson, TN which is in the western part of the state.