PDA

View Full Version : Hints on Removing PolyButyl Caulk on Recycled 6" Spiral Duct

Doug Skyer
08-20-2008, 1:08 PM
Just bought a used dust collection system from woodworker who is downsizing due to health reasons. As part of the deal I have to remove the 6" and 4" spiral metal ductwork from the ceiling. The fellow sealed the seams with what he said was "polybutyl caulking". I am trying to figure out if I should just take my sawzall and cut it down and then rejoing as necessary or try to remove the caulk at the joints so that I can access the sheet metal screws to pull the joints apart.

I looked at the easy connect joints from air handling systems (http://www.airhand.com/product.asp?CategoryID=17&SubCategoryID=0) at almost $25 ea that could get expensive.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

-doug

walter stellwagen
08-21-2008, 11:15 AM
If you live near a Hercules outlet they sell conectors (internal) for spiral pipe for about a buck. I also believe penn state and other mail order sites offer them,

WALT

walter stellwagen
08-21-2008, 11:18 AM
HERCULES Penn state and other mail order sites offer internal connectors for more like a buck then the amount you mention

Walt

walter stellwagen
08-21-2008, 11:20 AM
sorry my first post didn't show.

Walt

Lee Koepke
08-21-2008, 9:46 PM
butyl cauking is a mess. its hard to remove, thus the reason for its use in critical waterproof areas.

also, i dont recommend getting fresh butyl caulking on ones hands or clothes;)