PDA

View Full Version : Wet Goblets....

Dean Matthews
08-20-2008, 12:10 PM
So the goblet that I made the other day is warping like CRAZY. I knew it was going to happen but I was still wondering...

How do you keep it from getting too bad? I know how to re-turn bowls but how the heck do you do a goblet?

Or do you just turn it as thin as possible and hope for the best?

Tony De Masi
08-20-2008, 1:38 PM
Dean, I've only done a few green goblets and I've treated them just like a green bowl. Kept actual goblet portion about 10% and also keep a tenon on the bottom of the goblet. Soak in DNA and once removed wrap in the paper of your choice and set aside for 2-3 weeks. Then finish as normal.

Tony

Tom Lewis
08-20-2008, 3:44 PM
I would like to hear what others say about this, but when I rough turn a green goblet I leave the stem really thick so it doesn't warp. If a thin stem warps very much then it's pretty much a lost cause.

Curt Fuller
08-20-2008, 4:21 PM
I've learned to either turn them from dry wood or expect to have some significant warping. Sometimes the warping looks good and adds character.

David Walser
08-20-2008, 5:43 PM
Dean,

I've found turning the goblet very thin reduces, but does not eliminate, the warping. To the extent the goblet does warp, the thinness seems to make the warpage more acceptable to the eye. IIRC, your's was on the heavy side (very nice, just not very thin. Like Marilyn Monroe.). It would be interesting for you to post a picture of the goblet, then and now, so we could see what's happened.

Dean Matthews
08-21-2008, 9:33 AM
Dean,

I've found turning the goblet very thin reduces, but does not eliminate, the warping. To the extent the goblet does warp, the thinness seems to make the warpage more acceptable to the eye. IIRC, your's was on the heavy side (very nice, just not very thin. Like Marilyn Monroe.). It would be interesting for you to post a picture of the goblet, then and now, so we could see what's happened.

It's all out of wack... and still not completely dry. The stem looks to be fairly straight but the base is all out of wack.

I am toying with the idea of a jam chuck at the headstock and a live center on the tail for a re-turn.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-21-2008, 9:51 AM
Dean,

The couple goblets I've turned that were wet, I left them a bit thick and microwaved them to dry them. I then returned them. I microwaved them over a couple of evenings.

Jim Becker
08-21-2008, 1:02 PM
Some items are better served by turning dry wood and this may be one of them. Things that demand size stability, like pens, must also be done with dry material.

Bernie Weishapl
08-21-2008, 3:53 PM
Dean all my goblets are turned from dry wood. Warping is ok but most of mine that I turn I don't want to warp.

Dean Matthews
08-22-2008, 8:05 AM
The whole thing was just to try and get my dad into turning... that is why I took a piece that had JUST fallen off the tree and turned it. Then to show what you can do I made the goblet real quick. It just turned out that the grain was really nice! =)

Richard Madison
08-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Dean,
Your warped goblet might be "art".

Dean Matthews
08-22-2008, 7:56 PM
Dean,
Your warped goblet might be "art".

LOL... Perhaps. But it doesn't really stand all that well the base has warped so bad. I need to take pix.