PDA

View Full Version : Wood filler for pre finished maple plywood

Daniel Hillmer
08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi,

I built several kitchen cabinet carcasses out of 3/4 maple plywood which are manufactured with a pre finished UV cured clear coat. They came out OK, on couple of them though, I cut the floor and back panels not perfectly square and consequently I have a very small gap between floor and back wall & side panels, maybe a 64 of an inch to a 32 of an inch. Nothing major, I’d just like to fill the gaps and make them look a bit better.

I have used Wunderfil which is a good product, but that product seems it’s for unfinished wood and accepts paint. Are there any recommendations – products that I could use to fill the gaps on already finished plywood, that would blend in pretty good and not need painting with clear coat to match the pre finished wood?

Julian Wong
08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
wax / putty sticks do pretty well here. You can get them in a variety of colors and depth and just fill the lines. No need for finishing

Scott Coffelt
08-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Not sure i follow your issue, but if they are on the floor or against the wall, can you not run a piece of thin trim? The name escapes me at this point what it's called, I think scribe molding or something like that. My cabinet have that and also quarter round on the floor.

Daniel Hillmer
08-20-2008, 2:29 PM
Thanks Julian I'll look into it. Any particular brand you reccomend?

Sorry Scott I guess I was not clear. The gaps are on the INDSIDEs of the base cabinets.

Steve Clardy
08-20-2008, 3:47 PM
Frankly I wouldn't worry about that small of a gap on the inside of a base cabinet.

But minwax has color sticks and also small jars of colored, waxed putty.

I use the minwax putty on brad holes after installing crown molding and trim.

Dab it on, they wipe with a soft cloth