PDA

View Full Version : Porter-Cable or DeWalt Biscuit Joiners

Scott C. Williams
08-20-2008, 10:44 AM
What is the preference Porter-Cable 557 or Dewalt DW 682 biscuit joiner. I am in the market, but haven't decided which make and would appreciate feedback.
Thank you

Mark Ball
08-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I just ordered the dewalt factory reconditioned from amazon for 139 + 10 shipping. I read a bunch of reviews and the dewalt was liked by most people. The PC also got a bunch of good reviews, but was about 60 more.

Robert Strebler
08-20-2008, 11:41 AM
I haven't tried the PC, but own the DeWalt and have no complaints with it after using it a few times.

Lori Kleinberg
08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
I am with Robert. I have the Dewalt and have had no problems. Never used the PC.

Greg Narozniak
08-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I am with Robert. I have the Dewalt and have had no problems. Never used the PC.

Ditto to the others. My Dewalt works AOK

Tom Henderson2
08-20-2008, 12:18 PM
One review I read liked the way the PC had the handle on the FENCE, whereas most of the others have the handle on the MOTOR. The reviewer felt that having one hand on the handle (which is on the fence) and the other on the motor, it gave him better control and better accuracy.

I've never used either, but that seemed like an interesting distinction.

-TH

Tim Thomas
08-20-2008, 12:35 PM
I've got the PC and it is also a fine tool. I got mine used (but it was like new really) with a bunch of biscuits and the case for about $100. (New I think that would have been close to $250.... stealth gloat.) Before I bought it I read a head-to-head comparison on the Dewalt and PC and both got very high marks. There are few differences between them and both are good quality tools. If you can get a hands-on experience with both of them, I think you should just go with the one that "feels" right. Given that the quality is about the same, it is the little things that will make the difference. Maybe you will find something like the handle position, fence adjustments, dust collection port location or some other small detail that pushes you in one direction or the other...

CPeter James
08-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I have the PC type III. I prefer it because of the handle on the fence. It seems to me to give me better control. Go to a tool store and try holding both and simulate making a cut and see what you like. Remember even though the price for one might be less, it you don't like the way the tool handles, you won't use it. I use mine a lot. No matter what, remember that some people like one thing and some like another, that is why they make chocolate and vanilla.

CPeter

Robert Chapman
08-20-2008, 1:37 PM
I've had the PC for years and it has been flawless. I use it a lot. The only difficulty I have is remembering where I put the little spanner wrench you need to change the cutters.

Mike Henderson
08-20-2008, 1:44 PM
Many people find they don't use a plate joiner very much (I don't use my DeWalt very much). Unless you're sure you'll use it a lot, I'd choose whichever of the two (PC or DeWalt) is less expensive. They're both good joiners.

Mike

Steve Clardy
08-20-2008, 3:51 PM
I would have preferred a PC when I was shopping for a new one, but ended up with a Dewalt.
The price made my decision there.
New PC's at the time were $200.00 and I found a new Dewalt at the woodshow for a special price. I think it was $130.00 show special.
3-4 years ago.

Dewalt works just fine

glenn bradley
08-20-2008, 4:24 PM
I had the PC 557 and sold it due to lack of use (I have regretted it). It is unique in that it does just about everything it is supposed to do, beautifully. You would have to try to botch a slot with that tool. Two blades, so smaller biscuits (FF) are designed for specifically.

As I said, I hardly used it and so sold it. I make so few biscuits that I use a slot cutter, my Colt and a shop made jig.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=890447#post890447

I would go with less expensive unless you are really gonna use it a lot.

Matt Meiser
08-20-2008, 4:28 PM
I had the PC for several years and it saw limited use once I learned that I didn't need it to make panels. There was one project where it was very helpful. But when I bought my Domino I sold it because I can't think of any reason to have both and the Domino does much more.

John Sanford
08-20-2008, 5:08 PM
I have the PC and have been happy with it. When I bought it, I seriously considered getting the DeWalt, but the FF capability of the PC swayed it. Either way, you're likely to be happy with the tool. One more consideration is the top-end Craftsman. It is the DeWalt tool in a Black and Red suit, with a "unicorn" handle rather than the bail handle of the DeWalt. The handles between the two are even interchangeable. Thus, if you decide on the DeWalt, get either it or the Craftsman depending on availability and price.

Tom Kelley
08-20-2008, 5:20 PM
I have the Porter Cable. I made several cabinets using only biscuits. The tool worked perfectly. After six years and being in the garage the cabinets are solid as a rock. I would bet that the DeWalt is a good tool. Maybe it comes down to price?

Walt Caza
08-20-2008, 5:31 PM
Hi Scott,
Here is a link to a thread, which mentions and shows one advantage of
the PC 557. The specific post by me is titled 'still more pics'.
I demonstrate the reflex angle capability, which provides a positive position
on miter joinery. No slippage on angled stock. (link)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=85669
It's tricky to take a steady pic with one hand, and hold joiner with the other!!

It also offers many other advantages, including the smaller face frame biscuit cutter.
Not to mention I find it to be an excellent tool.
Only the super-spendy Lamello tops the PC by my estimation.
(aw heck, they invented the tool, and it is prettyyy sweet!)

I may be different, but I have and use many approaches to joinery,
including Dowelmax and biscuits. I would not part with either of those.
But hey, I can only speak for myself. Your mileage may vary.....
Good luck with your toy shopping,
Walt

ps: *BONUS* At the end of that specific posting above- (in the post script)
For those following the Great Morris Chair project........
You will see the first ever reference that it may happen......
and also my hesitation and reluctance to tackle it !!!
I'm in now--- hook, line and sinker!

Chris Kennedy
08-20-2008, 6:07 PM
I have the PC and I think I would echo much of what has already been said. I like the handle on the fence rather than the motor, the FF capability (though my blade came so tight from the factory, I had to take it to a service center to get it off), it also has a larger range of angles at which you can cut slots. I use mine all the time and love it.

When I bought mine, I did a lot of research and narrowed it down to the DeWalt and PC. As I recall, many users found the DeWalt loud compared to the PC, and at the time, there appeared to be a bad batch of DeWalts on the market where the blade was out of alignment right out of the box. That problem has assumedly been resolved. Also, the DeWalt is better designed if you also want to use the jointer as a slot cutter.

I don't think you really can go wrong.

Cheers,

Chris

Peter Quinn
08-20-2008, 6:24 PM
I use the PC at work. Nice tool, flawless fence (accurate, durable and repeatable), smooth plunge, and built for FF size biscuits if you use them for small frames.

I own a makita. The fence is crap, no FF setting, oh did i mention the fence is crap. Very un makita like. Otherwise it works well, smooth plunge and accurate cuts when guided by other than the fence. I got it as a gift, put it on a wish list, didn't want to ask for a more expensive model, would have bought the PC if I were paying for it my self.

I have not used the DeWalt, but having kicked the tires at a tool store, I'd say it seems more like the makita, less like the PC. Take a close look at the fence angle settings and depth settings. I think the PC wins hands down if you use the fence to reference the cuts. As the makita fence is crap I have learned that you can reference most cuts sans fence.

If you are using the biscuit jointer for a lot of precision critical work (I mean by this VERY precise), or various angle cuts are involved, and intend to use the fence for quick and repeated changes, the PC might be your tool. For basic use and general rectilinear cabinetry just about any decent biscuit joiner can be made to work, so price would be my deciding variable there.

Jeff Duncan
08-20-2008, 6:31 PM
I've used both of them extensively and when it came time to buy one for my own shop I went with the PC. I really found it to be just slightly better than the DeWalt. For most casual users though I agree either would be a good machine. I probably make several thousand cuts a year with it and haven't had a problem yet.
I will say as much as I'd like to get a Domino, it certainly won't replace my biscuit joiner, 2 different tools in my mind, not to mention the cost difference between tenons and biscuits:eek:
good luck,
JeffD

Phil Thien
08-20-2008, 6:47 PM
I think the PC will connect to a shop vac more easily that a DeWalt. The DeWalt has a square DC port, doesn't it? The PC will connect using the same hose as my PC sander.

I don't have a PC, though, I have the Makita. I made an adapter for it so I can use my PC hose when using it.

Joe Vincent
08-20-2008, 7:13 PM
I think the PC is preferable by a bit over the DeWalt, but whichever one you decide on, consider looking for a used one for a bargain particularly as folks who have purchased the Domino look to unload their biscuit joiners.

Peter Quinn
08-20-2008, 8:54 PM
I think the PC will connect to a shop vac more easily that a DeWalt. The DeWalt has a square DC port, doesn't it? The PC will connect using the same hose as my PC sander.

I don't have a PC, though, I have the Makita. I made an adapter for it so I can use my PC hose when using it.

I use my makita with a PC vac and an adaptor I got from PC. Works well, much more pleasant than the dust bag.

Rob Cooper
08-20-2008, 9:18 PM
I have has the Dewalt for 5 or so years. I like the fence and the unit is easy to use with one hand. It does what it was designed for.

In follow up to Phil's post, the dust chute narrows down to less than 1" square before the collection bag. This "bottleneck" clogs frequently.

Norman Pyles
08-21-2008, 12:24 AM
There's a Dewalt for sale, down in the classified section.

Wayne Cannon
08-21-2008, 1:28 AM
I have both the corded P-C and cordless DeWalt biscuit joiners.

The P-C has slightly more flexibility than the DeWalt in fence adjustment, especially for both inside and outside mitered edges (i.e., using the short-edge and the long-edge of the miter as the reference surface). However, the DeWalt fence is also among the better and more flexible ones.
The P-C has a second, smaller blade for cutting face frame (FF) biscuits.
The DeWalt has a cordless version, which I find very handy.
The DeWalt connection for dust collection is not quite as clean as the P-C's. (In addition, mine occasionally comes loose from the joiner's body -- a minor annoyance.)

As you can see, the differences are very minor.

Eric Larsen
08-21-2008, 2:54 AM
I agree with Glenn -- A slot cutting bit costs one-tenth (or less) than a plate joiner.

I don't even use a jig, I just use a biscuit to mark the center point and the ends of my cut. Never had a problem. I've had a few "too long" slots -- but that hasn't affected my work.

Rich Engelhardt
08-21-2008, 4:49 AM
Hello,

If you are using the biscuit jointer for a lot of precision critical work (I mean by this VERY precise), or various angle cuts are involved, and intend to use the fence for quick and repeated changes, the PC might be your tool.
When I bought my PC, all the comments I read online were similar to what Peter said., "The PC is the one for the best precision". A $30.00 rebate at the time I bought it put it right in line with the DeWalt, so it would have been silly not to get the PC.
I seldom use it, but when I do, it's the "right tool at the right time".

BOB OLINGER
08-21-2008, 9:22 AM
I've had a DeWalt for several years; use it off and on. Works great. I've never used the PC so can't comment, I'm sure it's a good tool, also.

George Sanders
08-21-2008, 9:24 AM
I first bought a cheap set of slot cutters and they worked rather well for splines. Then I bought a PC model 556 at auction for $50. I was very little used and came with a steel case plus biscuits. It does everything I need it to do.

glenn bradley
08-21-2008, 1:50 PM
If price is your deciding factor, $95 DeWalt: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90629
(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90629)

Bill White
08-21-2008, 6:36 PM
Had it for a long time and I use it (contrary to others).
Would buy it again.
Bill

Bryan Slimp
08-21-2008, 7:19 PM
I have a Freud 100A. It makes a lot of noise, the dust collection isn't great, and the fence isn't stellar. That being said, I don't use it everyday. I keep some off cuts to set the fence, and I'm careful when making cuts, gluing panels, etc. If for some crazy reason I had to be another joiner I'd still save the money and buy the Freud.

I've seen comments in reviews for particular models regarding cut accuracy. I thought one of the points of a biscuit joiner was to give you some wiggle room.