PDA

View Full Version : Compressed air for Pinnacle N-Series?

Don Gares
08-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Note: Heading should say M-Series

Although I have been lurking here for sometime this is my first post. For a couple of months I have been looking for a used laser engraver that had the pass-through feature. Well, I finally found a Pinnacle 40 watt M-Series and wired the funds today. It has the vector cutting table, the exhaust system, rotary attachment, software, etc. but it will not come with a air compressor thus my question.

I have never used a laser engraver thus I do not know the requirements for the air supply. In my shop I have a good sized compressor and tank (60 gallon) that will supply dry regulated air to where ever I want to pipe it to. My question really amounts to should I use my current air supply (at what psi?) and someway connect it to the machine or should I purchase a compressor made especially for the system? I suspect that another option would be to purchase some type of small inexpensive compressor that is made for another use and connect it to the machine but again, I don't know what psi and cfm numbers I would need.

I would really appreciate your suggestions and also some URLs where I might purchase your suggestions.

Cheers,

Don

Scott Challoner
08-20-2008, 9:48 AM
Hi Don

I have this one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93657

No idea of the CFM but it has worked fine for me.

Good luck.

Scott

Rodne Gold
08-20-2008, 1:17 PM
Shop air wuill do fine , there is a little regulator valve built into the machine if its a Mercury By GCC (I think its the same as yours ) which you use to control air assist pressure , they should be plumbed for air as well.
Air assist on Mercury machines , as far as I remember from mine pressurises the lens box and comes out concurent with the beam , so dry air and oil less air are essential cos you WILL damage your optics with oil or water splatter.

Scott Erwin
08-20-2008, 2:56 PM
This is the one I have came with machine as part of the package I bought. The machine I have is basically the same as the one you are looking at/purchased, so this should work well for you.

If you use shop air, it MUST BE DRY, no water/oil, or you will distroy the optics in the machine, and that is not an expense you want to encure if you dont have to for something you could prevent.

http://signwarehouse.com/shop/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=ENA-WM-CVP-90DH-110V

Brian Robison
08-20-2008, 3:17 PM
Don, who will be supplying Tech support?

Richard Rumancik
08-20-2008, 3:50 PM
When I bought my Mercury many years ago they told me the air assist needed 90 litres/min @ 3kg/sq cm. If I converted correctly this is about 3 cfm at 42 psi.

I never run the air assist at 40 psi. For many things 5-20 psi is fine. There may be cases where 40 psi is warranted but I have not use that high a pressure.

I don't know what my flow rate is though. I used to use a 20 gal 1 hp shop compressor with a tank, but more recently an using an oilless diaphragm compressor. I think it has the potential of around 3 cfm at 40 psi but I doubt I am using 3 cfm as it does not run continuously. Probably around 1-2 cfm but of course it depends on pressure.

My current compressor is from an old oxygen concentrator. It is very quiet compared to the shop compressor. Since it was designed to be used in a residence it is not deafening. If you are handy, you can pick up an old oxygen concentrator cheaply and convert it. I left it in the cabinet as there is sound absorbing padding. You still need a way to get the moisture out. Also, adding a small tank is a good idea. The biggest issue was finding a switch/unloader valve with a 40 psi rating, as most are rated around 125 psi or more.

I noticed on the Sign Warehouse unit they say "Using an oil-less diaphragm, moisture is eliminated. Moisture is harmful and damaging to the laser optics."

I agree with the second statement but I don't know how an oilless compressor can eliminate water from the line. I thought it just eliminated oil. I don't recommend using it without a desiccant or water trap of some sort.

My oxygen concentrator compressor looks similar in construction with dual diaphragms.

Don Gares
08-20-2008, 10:02 PM
All of your responses were really appreciated.
Scott C., I think that I will go with your suggestion as it is cheap and simple.
Rodne, I agree that shop air would no doubt work but by the time I run the extra air lines and add a water trap and regulator at the machine I think that Scott's idea would be simpler.
Scott E., you must have the Cadillac of compressors at that price. To be quite honest I communicated with Signwarehouse several times when I was looking for a system and I was not impressed. Of course, I could have just got the wrong person.
Brian, as far as tech support goes, I thought that is what this forum was for.:)
Richard, the "big boys" tell me that they run at about 10 to 14 psi so you are obviously correct about the 5 to 20 range.

Thanks again everyone,

Don