PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraving Granite

mike wallis
05-03-2004, 1:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone had done any engraving with Granite? And if you have what were the results? I ran accross a site that supplied pure black Granite at a good price, that may be good for Photo's.
Thanks for any info,
Mike

SteveKrim
05-03-2004, 4:14 PM
I have done a good bit of Granite - I have a place near me that is pretty cheap. It turns out nice - but just a little grey.

For photos and other images - I really prefer Black Marble. Pure black is hard to find and Keith shared a supplier from GA. The only problem there is the shipping. If the guys packing it do a bad job - it tends to get pretty beat up by UPS.

Did you get PhotoGrav? It is really essential for photos!

Steve

mike wallis
05-03-2004, 5:16 PM
Thanks for the info Steve. I'm in the process of getting Photograv "still shoping around". If you know where to get it at a good price please let me know. They really ding you on the specialty software!

Mike

Keith Outten
05-03-2004, 8:55 PM
Mike,

I received one granite tile as a sample when I ordered my first shipment of black marble. I have yet to try the granite as I haven't found an appropriate job for the material. The granite tile isn't pure black, it is a speckled charcoal color.

If you find a better program than PhotoGrav for processing photographs to engrave let me know. In my search I couldn't find any product that was comparable to PhotoGrav and although it is pricey and seems a little clunky to use it does a reasonably good job. We don't use PhotoGrav all the time and rarely for black marble, we normally get better results with a photo editing program, then invert the photo before sending it to the engraver.