PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Mahogany?

Gary Herrmann
08-19-2008, 8:12 PM
A good friend of mine had been up for a visit, so I made her a pen for her birthday. She said she knew of a chunk of mahogany she could send me, if I wanted...

I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the box. She knows trees and identified this as West Indian Mahogany (Swietenia mahoganii). Call me crazy, but is that the same as Cuban Mahogany?

I think I'll call it quilty. It's 7" thick and about 14 x 14. Looks like a quarter section of the trunk. And yes, I've already left a msg asking what happened to the rest of it. :eek:

I'm trying to exercise downstairs, but I keep wandering over to that chunk o' wood and hyperventilating...

Ken Fitzgerald
08-19-2008, 8:59 PM
Gary.....She must have really appreciated the pen!

We aren't to use language like I'd like to use so I'll just say "you vacuum"
!:rolleyes:

Nice haul! Beautiful wood!

Gary Herrmann
08-19-2008, 9:01 PM
Yeah, Ken - just call me Mr. Electrolux. I definitely have to make her something out of that chunk.

William Bachtel
08-19-2008, 9:41 PM
Re saw in to Platters.

Steve Schlumpf
08-19-2008, 9:45 PM
Gary - that is some beautiful wood! What ever it is you turn out of it - I am looking forward to seeing it!

Horst Hohoff
08-20-2008, 3:02 AM
If it really is Swietenia mahoganii then you've got Cuban mahogani. Congrats...

Bernie Weishapl
08-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Gary beautiful piece of wood. I have turned cuban mahogany and it is a dream. Of course you should send it to me for verification. :eek:;):rolleyes:

Frank Drew
08-21-2008, 5:38 PM
Gary,

Wow! That's great looking stuff; you do vacuum! :D Any history on this piece of wood? Did you coat it, or did your friend?

I'd be tempted to resaw it and make two 3x14 somewhat shallow bowls rather than one 7" deep one, to make maximum use of the fantastic figure.

Gary Herrmann
08-21-2008, 6:01 PM
I anchorsealed it right after opening it.

The face grain is what is 7" wide - the endgrain is 14 x 14. So I may make a set of approx 7" salad bowls for my wife, and have enough left over for one for my friend and maybe for a hollow form or two when I get ready to try that.

It came from a storm damaged tree in FL.

Nathan Hawkes
08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Somehow I missed this when you originally posted it. Really, really nice wood there! I hope you have a center saver, because it'd be a shame to just hollow out the wood in this one!!!! If you don't, I'd find someone in the area that does for sure. WOW. Please keep us "pictorally informed" of your progress on this one!!!!!!!

Paul Engle
08-25-2008, 2:02 PM
Either what Nathan said or move to FL.......:eek: nice gloat Gary and WAAYYYY nice wood....