PDA

View Full Version : Vista Issues .... AGAIN

Gregg Vaughn
08-19-2008, 7:43 PM
Vista has indeed been a challenge. I have to say that I am up an going with Vista, but one remaining gremlin keeps showing up. I have my Helix connected to Vista (by way of a Dell XPS 420 Core 2 Quad) by a ethernet connection. Since my Dell came with only one ethernet card (used by my router), I added a second ethernet card for the Helix.

Generally everything is fine. Every once in a while though, my Helix gets lost. When I send it a job, it does not show up. When I re-boot my Dell and re-send the job, all is well. As a matter of fact all is very well because the 1st job that never made it to the Helix is there also!

I figure Vista is loosing the ethernet connection somehow. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there a way of re-establishing the ethernet connection without re-booting the computer?

Eric Allen
08-19-2008, 11:08 PM
There's one relatively easy DOS method that might restore the connection. If you can find your way to Accessories, open the command prompt and type: IPCONFIG /RENEW Make sure there is a space after IPCONFIG. With any luck, it will ping the laser and all will be well:)

Steve knight
08-19-2008, 11:31 PM
My dell vista machine started thinking it had to network connections when it only had one. the only thing that worked was a system restore to the day before but if I rebooted the problem was back. simple solution go back to xp (G)

Gregg Vaughn
08-20-2008, 8:10 AM
Eric,

I resorted to the command prompt a fair amount in earluier Windows OS's, I have to admit, however, I have no idea how to get to the command prompt in Vista.

Matt Wheeler
08-20-2008, 8:39 AM
May I ask why you are not running the ethernet from the laser to the router? We have our Helix connected to our router/switch so that multiple PCs can send jobs to the laser, works flawlessly.

Steve knight
08-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Eric,

I resorted to the command prompt a fair amount in earluier Windows OS's, I have to admit, however, I have no idea how to get to the command prompt in Vista.
thats one of the things that annoys me about vista. they changed things that used to be simple. like the documents and settings folder got totally trashed and rearranged. netorwking used to be simple now it is a pain.

Jason Whelehon
08-20-2008, 12:23 PM
just type in what you want into the start menu search box...

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8738/networkvistaaj3.jpg

Denny Rice
08-21-2008, 2:30 AM
My answer to Vista:

Apple Computer, Inc.

Just a thought.:D:D

Gregg Vaughn
08-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Matt,

I chose to go the route of adding a second ethernet port to maintain a dedicated port for the Helix "thinking" that would be the best option. With XP Pro it seems to have been a good thing, with Vista I have had the issue at hand.

I am left wondering, whatever the fix may be, why Vista is loosing the ethernet connection to the Helix ....

Bill Morrison
08-21-2008, 3:14 PM
Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/QueryWS/GetOpenContent.aspx?assetID=4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33&DocumentSet=en-US&RenderKey=XML, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Command Prompt.

Hope this works for you.

Bill

Jason Whelehon
08-21-2008, 3:31 PM
or click "start" and type "command"

Roy Brewer
08-21-2008, 9:44 PM
...how to get to the command prompt in Vista...Gregg,

Easiest/fastest way for most of us is WinKey+r.
This brings up the Run dialog; type in "cmd" and press [Enter] or click OK

Works on all Windows systems back to at least win95

Gregg Vaughn
08-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks Roy .....