PDA

View Full Version : plyboo/bamboo?

Dmitriy Kumets
08-19-2008, 7:10 PM
Has anyone vector cut bamboo plywood (aka plyboo)?
I'm using an epilog 24/45W and am curious how thick I can vector cut as well as what settings you'd use for engraving.

Thanks!
Dima

Frank Corker
08-19-2008, 7:19 PM
Joe Pelonio has done some work with bamboo - keep checking, he'll reply soon

Michael Kowalczyk
08-19-2008, 9:02 PM
Has anyone vector cut bamboo plywood (aka plyboo)?
I'm using an epilog 24/45W and am curious how thick I can vector cut as well as what settings you'd use for engraving.

Thanks!
Dima

Hi Dima and welcome to the Creek.
Take a look here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76623&highlight=bamboo

Best thing is to get a sample and see what yours will do in your laser.
Teak is a very strong and enduring wood and that is one reason it is also expensive. make sure your client sees a sample first so they know what to expect and just as important you know what is expected of you as far as finish quality. Joe has much more user information on this and like Frank said he will probably chime in soon.

Dmitriy Kumets
08-19-2008, 9:26 PM
Thank you guys for the prompt responses and thank you in advance for the follow ups.

I read through both of Joe's bamboo posts and love the results he got with veneer. My objective is trying to actually cut complex vector shapes. I am actually heading over tonight to see if I can get this 1/8" and 1/4" to cut as the non-technical person said something wasn't working right.
My current suspicions are either that the wood is too hard or that her lens is too dirty from all the acrylic she's been cutting.
Could lacquer be getting in the way?

Wish me luck!

Joe Pelonio
08-19-2008, 9:58 PM
I have done some pretty intricate cutting with no problems on the bamboo, 1/8" and 1/4", however my source provides it unfinished or with a tung oil finish, no lacquer or poly. Still, I don't know why that would cause problems.

I started with same settings as Oak then adjusted it until I found the best results. My notes say speed 8, power 100, freq 5000 for 1/4"

Dmitriy Kumets
08-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks so much!Will try that tonight !

Bradley Schmidt
02-11-2009, 3:50 AM
Bamboo responds well to this type of cutting, but keep in mind that it is fairly hard (harder than Red Oak) and the boards are laminated with a glue.

We have clients that CNC & water jet cut bamboo to achieve amazing and intricate results. You just need to test your speeds on samples first to get the speed right before committing.

Bamboo boards require sharp tools, and if you are working with the thicker bamboo boards, you'll need a stronger machine to avoid scorching.

Also keep in mind that bamboo edges can present nasty splinters, so I recommend you use gloves when handling the boards.

Regards

Bradley - Oriental Bamboo
www.oriental-bamboo.co.za

Frank Corker
02-11-2009, 4:23 AM
Bradley that was posted in August last year!