PDA

View Full Version : cutting trophy colums

Craig Hogarth
08-19-2008, 7:09 PM
Does anyone have any advice on how to cut trophy columns straight without the use of a power tool? JDS recommends a radial arm saw which I do not have. I can do it with a hacksaw in a miter block, but I have to go way too slow to get a straight cut and i need something faster (and cheap).

Mark Winlund
08-19-2008, 7:23 PM
Use a miter chop saw, used in woodworking. Be sure you get a fine tooth carbide blade. These saws are sold at Home Depot, among others. It will leave a clean, square cut. It is far less costly than a radial arm saw, and will do nearly everything just as well.

Mark

James Stokes
08-19-2008, 7:25 PM
Look on Craigs list. You might find a cheap miter saw on there.

Stephen Beckham
08-21-2008, 9:58 AM
Craig,

I tried six or seven different ways before I finally gave in and used my chopsaw. I didn't want to have to buy an expensive blade (high tooth count & carbide tip) to put on my existing saw - so I spent more in trying different ways.

Now - I've got the right blade and use the right tool. Don't get anything fancy - the smaller ones will work for you - you'll just have to buy the additional blade. You don't need the combination tilt or any other bells and wistles. You can usually find at least one type at most stores for $100ish.

As a matter of fact - if you run to Sears today - they have a basic model 7 1/2" on sell for $60ish. Sell ends today! But if you can't rush for it - don't sweat it - these guys are always trying to dump their basic models for sub $100 prices...

Steve

Lisa Walter
08-21-2008, 4:35 PM
We recently did a bunch of trophies with just a miter box and didn't have trouble with the columns not being straight....

sal shepherd
08-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi Craig, I purchashed a manual miterbox an saw. from home depot it is a JORG'ENSEN Mdl #64005. I have a outside bench screw it down also put duct tape on back plate and cutting bed. I mark different lengths to line up on an go to town

Craig Hogarth
08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
I've got an old husky tile saw that I'm gonna try out tonight. I just can't get a good straight cut with a miter box unless I go really really slow. That's ok for now, cuz I havent had a large order of trophies yet, but I couldn't imagine doing several dozen at that pace.

If the tile saw doesn't work, i'll probably go with a cheap miter or chop saw as suggested.

sal shepherd
08-22-2008, 9:58 PM
I've got an old husky tile saw that I'm gonna try out tonight. I just can't get a good straight cut with a miter box unless I go really really slow. That's ok for now, cuz I havent had a large order of trophies yet, but I couldn't imagine doing several dozen at that pace.

If the tile saw doesn't work, i'll probably go with a cheap miter or chop saw as suggested.

Craig, with the saw miterbox is simple to use it has guides to keep blade straight. My 10 year old cuts my tubes. the saw was under 20.00

John Frazee
08-23-2008, 10:47 AM
I bought cheap power miter saws when I first started back in 1996. With the cheap ones, you can't adjust all the angles you need to adjust to get a good straight cut. Some weeks we make over 1,000 trophies some having as many as eight peices of column. If the trophies have any height to them and your cut is not perfect, you will have crooked trophies. I ended up having to buy a Dewalt compound miter saw. They cost around three hundred dollars. I bought my first one in 1996 and just recently retired it and bought another one. I went through lots of brushes in it but it has been the best saw I found for trophy columns.