PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Delta 36-716 and 716B?

Jim Jones
08-19-2008, 6:35 PM
Does anybody know the difference between the Delta 36-716 and 36-716B?

I am leaning toward buying this instead of the Grizzly G0661.

thanks!

Glenn Howard
08-19-2008, 7:07 PM
I tried to figure this out at one point myself, but couldn't. If you visit Delta's website, they only list the "B" model, so I'm guessing it replaced the non "B" model, but from everything I've looked at, the specs are the same.

I personally have the 36-715B, which is the same saw you're looking at except with a T2 fence. The model number of the base saw itself is 36-714. The 715 comes with a T2 fence, the 716 comes with a Unifence, and the 717 comes with a Biesemeyer fence. I've been very happy with mine so far. It's by no means the Lexus of table saws, but it's a good quality saw, and will likely be the last one I'll ever need.

There's no question in my mind that this particular Delta would be a better saw than the Grizzly you're looking at. The Delta is a hybrid saw whereas the Grizzly you've listed is a contractor saw. You'll get better dust collection with the Delta, it will take up less real estate in your shop because it doesn't have the motor hanging off the back. I'd venture to say that either of the three fences available on the Delta would be better than what comes on that particular Grizzly. By the time you pay for shipping for the Grizzly, they're not that far apart in price. I'd recommend the Delta, not out of brand loyalty, but because I think you get more bang for your buck with a hybrid over a contractor saw.

scott spencer
08-19-2008, 7:20 PM
Glenn - The G0661 is listed as a contractor saw because of it's open splayed leg base, but it's not a conventional contractor saw with the motor hanging off the back. It's enclosed. There aren't any absolute definitions for what defines a hybrid saw but I've always considered a saw to be a hybrid if it's a full size home duty cast iron saw with an internal belt drive induction motor that'll run on 110v. The G0661 is a hybrid in my book.

The GO661 also features a true riving knife and a one-piece cast arbor carriage with blade shroud, which gives it a couple of advantages over the trunnion system of the Delta. The full enclosure is an advantage in favor of the Delta....so is it's two year warranty.

I've used neither so don't have an opinion on actual performance, but did want to point out the structural differences. I'm assuming with proper setup and good blade selection both should perform well.

95073 9507495075

Jim Jones
08-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Glenn, thanks for that info about the 714/715/716/717 differences. It would be nice if all the manufacturers would make these small (but significant) differences clear. Steel City is equally obscure. Models that are close together, like the 1 3/4 HP models, are so close feature-wise that I can't see the diff.

Scott, I placed an order for the G0661 on March 1 but the "estimated" ship date has slipped repeatedly and is now Sept. 30. I have given up on it.

thanks,
Jim

scott spencer
08-20-2008, 2:18 PM
...Scott, I placed an order for the G0661 on March 1 but the "estimated" ship date has slipped repeatedly and is now Sept. 30. I have given up on it.

thanks,
Jim

I don't blame you...I'd have done the same thing. Good luck!